What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If I recall, Shottenheimer was on the wrong end of those two painful playoff losses in Cleveland to Denver -- the 98 yard Elway TD drive and the Ernest Byner fumble.

But hey, it could be worse, at least your entire sports town isn't cursed, you can rest with the Pistons 3 titles...I suppose it would be terrible though if one were only a football fan in Michigan.
Casey, actually the Lions are the only local pro or college team that I have not seen win a championship (although I'm not a Red Wings fan -- probably the only hockey fan in southeastern Michigan to make that claim). Being a Michigan fan, I don't count MSU football, either. ;) Anyway, despite the Red Wings claims, football is #1 in this area. The region would go bonkers if the Lions ever won a Super Bowl.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, despite the Red Wings claims, football is #1 in this area. The region would go bonkers if the Lions ever won a Super Bowl.
That's the one thing I don't get about Michigan. Is it football or hockey? I've been hearing conflicting reports between hockey and football. My buddy has buddy's from Michigan who are huge football nuts, and my brother's former coworkers were Red Wing afficionados.

I've heard of it, but I heard they turn the Big House into a big hockey arena for the Michigan State/Michigan game.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If I recall, Shottenheimer was on the wrong end of those two painful playoff losses in Cleveland to Denver -- the 98 yard Elway TD drive and the Ernest
Byner fumble.
I believe that you are correct in saying this. I'd be surprised if you weren't.

Anyway, this actually brings up a point about coaches, and a lot of these guys that get hired and rehired over bringing in someone without some experience.

Take a guy like Dennis Green for instance, this is a guy that can get the most out of his talent, and really knows how to motivate players. Green however is not what I would call a great "during the game" coach. He makes some questionable decisions, he sure made some in that NFC title game loss to the Falcons, but because he's very good at the other part this isn't enough to keep him from getting rehired.

The great coaches are the guys that can both motivate players properly and handle the during game strategy.

Actually, Green's poor management of games is why I'm happy the Raiders did not hire him during the offseason as was rumored. I didn't see enough of Redskins football to know if Norv Turner has those same kinds of strategy mistakes, but I'll find out soon enough. I do get to see a lot of the Vikings, and well...I remember Denny making some questionable decisions to say the least.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see enough of Redskins football to know if Norv Turner has those same kinds of strategy mistakes, but I'll find out soon enough. I do get to see a lot of the Vikings, and well...I remember Denny making some questionable decisions to say the least.
Turner wasn't bad. Owner Daniel Snyder was just an impatient sort.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
According to DallasCowboys.com a CFL team claimed him(Quincy) and will try to work out a contract with him.
The Edmonton Eskimos have put Quincy Carter on their negotiation list, meaning that the Canadian Football League team has exclusive CFL negotiating rights and can enter into contract talks with the recently released quarterback.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well, the Lions just got hit with the injury bug. Boss Baily looks like he is probably done for the year. Big hit for the Lions...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Talking of the injury bug, it just struck the Cardinals again the other day, with their best proven receiver and last year's offensive rookie of the year going down with a knee injury that will keep him out until probably October.

The Cardinals were hoping to have a 3 receiver set of Brian Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Boldin but both Johnson and Boldin are out for awhile so they might start the year with Brian Gilmore and Fitzgerald. Add that to the loss of Ship for the season and things look troubling for the Cards.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Chargers did one thing right, they are about to make Tomlinson the highest paid running back in football.

Interesting fact on the Chargers since 1998 they've had 5 number 1 picks and only 1 was in on time...Ryan Leaf.

Some people don't care for Chris Berman but I like him for lines like the one he uttered tonight on count down.

"Tomlinson is the best back in football, the other 52 guys are the worst players in football."

Its funny cause its practically true.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well the Madden Curse didn't strike the Ravens last night. Their D looked rather good as usual...
Baltimore is sort of the forgotten team when it comes to who might do some damage in the playoffs. I suspect that it is because they don't have a proven QB, or much at the receiver spot, but hey did they have either of those in 2000?

Baltimore is in probably some of the best shape of any team in the league, because while they are the third youngest team, they have a lot of experience. Youth and experience is a dangerous combination. So don't sleep on Baltimore this season, they could go deep in to the playoffs.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that it is because they don't have a proven QB, or much at the receiver spot, but hey did they have either of those in 2000
Nope. The Ravens have spectacular Defense and mediocrity at Offense. I don't think it will be enough to take down the Patriots. If their offense starts on a roll then look out.

Speaking of them, they whipped the Eagles last night 24-6. The Patriots are the EASY favorites of the AFC and the Superbowl IMHO.

Also its quite an experience to have 3 preaseason games on last night thanks to NFL network and a local channel covering a game. This is a football fans dream :emoji_thumbsup:

The Chiefs/Giants game was pretty entertaining too.

The Steelers lose Charlie Batch for the year. Better hope Tommy Maddux doesn't go down otherwise we get to see Big Ben . This maybe a good thing though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The Chiefs/Giants game was pretty entertaining too.
Games like that show to me why it's just pre-season. The first half was not very good; the Chiefs put up 311 yards, and just ran the Giants off the field. Then you pull the starters and the game becomes a battle of backups.

Rod Dayne came out of nowhere to try and show that he will at least make an effort in his career; and Jesse Palmer showed some composure as a clear third stringer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks