What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It appears the Washington Redskins are soon no longer going to be the Redskins. The team has apparently agreed to change their name. Also Nike has ceased selling Redskins merchandise and is gearing up for the re-branding of the team.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It appears the Washington Redskins are soon no longer going to be the Redskins. The team has apparently agreed to change their name. Also Nike has ceased selling Redskins merchandise and is gearing up for the re-branding of the team.
Hopefully the Chiefs are also taking similar steps. It would seem hypocritical to force Washington to change but not others with similarly-derived mascots. Also MLB's Braves and Indians, with the fans doing their derisive "tomahawk chop" during games.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I get Redskins being offensive as it refers to group by skin color. How are Chiefs, Braves, and Indians offensive? Perhaps the team logos?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
They could always change their mascot to a potato and keep the name. Hey, if Ohio State can use a nut as the team name and mascot, why not a potato? ;)

Seriously, I am not surprised that this is finally happening. The team name is an offensive term to native Americans. Some of the others, though, such as Chiefs and Braves, are probably less so.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Washington Windbags?

Bag o WInd.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Unfortunately, as a NFL fan for decades, I think my interest in the sport is at an end. I
don’t care for being forced to adjust to this
current climate of today’s society, and also
I don’t agree with the league’s increased regular season game schedule, and increased amount of playoff teams, which makes the games a little less meaningful, not to mention the increased salaries affecting and sullying the game (it’s being turned into touch football due to the league worried about the players getting injured
during the course of a game, and the money investment getting diminished).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Unfortunately, as a NFL fan for decades, I think my interest in the sport is at an end. I
don’t care for being forced to adjust to this
current climate of today’s society, and also
I don’t agree with the league’s increased regular season game schedule, and increased amount of playoff teams, which makes the games a little less meaningful, not to mention the increased salaries affecting and sullying the game (it’s being turned into touch football due to the league worried about the players getting injured
during the course of a game, and the money investment getting diminished).

All jokes aside, I don't mind the renaming of the Redskins, it always stood out as the oddest and most graphically racist team name in pro sports. So, I always thought that would happen eventually. At this stage I am very much hoping for a season to be played as the collapse of sports and many other parts of life due to Covid has been quite tragic in terms of having a sense of normalcy in this country.

Football has always been a dangerous sport and so I have not had an issue with them looking for ways to improve player safety. I recall when I played football for years as a boy in the 1970s and 1980s from Pop Warner into high school, my grandfather was always completely opposed to me playing and stopped coming to my games because during the last game he attended I kept leaving the field bleeding profusely from my shin due to an opposing player continually kicking me in the shin with his steel cleats. He came down to the sideline and begged me to stop playing as he saw what the other kid was doing and he was horrified by my response...I told him it was alright, I liked the pain. Which was true, there was an adrenaline rush from the contact, the physical violence, and the pain.

I do think the more you play the more addicted to that you become until it reaches a level where your body ceases to be able to take it, you age, recovery takes longer and longer and you are living with daily pain. As a kid and into college you can take it. In the NFL, you think of a guy like Frank Gore, these guys that make it playing into their 30s and beyond...well...you have to think what they have done to their bodies after that many years of football is horrific. But yes, they made the choice to play. Andrew Luck retired mainly because he was in pain 24/7 and he did not want to live like that. I'm sure his doctors told him his only chance to get rid of the pain was to stop playing pro football while his body was still young enough to reach a full recovery.

Now the biggest threat it seems to football is more and more parents do not want their kids to play and so what seems likely to happen is the pool of players to choose from will diminish.

The issue with the sport in terms of safety is it is not possible to remove all potential for injury because players are colliding at full speed on every play. So, there will always remain a high risk aspect to playing the game. Let's face it though, the game also offers people like Antonio Brown the chance to become immediate multi-millionaires and so that is the lure. Brown obviously would never have been in a position to make that kind of money if there was no NFL. Hence, you will hear players that want to take the risk to earn the big payday.

I think the league has long wanted to exchange preseason games for more regular season games. There is more money in that and more money in more playoff games.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Mahommes has signed a whopper of a contract extension, as was expected. Details have not been released yet, but it's rumored to be a 10 year deal for somewhere between $400M and $500M. There may be clauses tying it to a percentage of the salary cap, which would be unusual. The big question will be how much of that money is guaranteed. The 10 year term is the longest in NFL history.

Also, the Raiders have made an offer to free agent Clowney. Reports are that it is a lower offer than what he received from the Browns and Titans.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want DeSean Jackson on my football team. There is no place in sports for a bigot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks