What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Pathetic. No decent wide receivers, a defense that bent for a while then utterly broke, and not a wisp of a running game. I expected a Bucs win, but a SHUTOUT?? That Patriots game next week is gonna be nasty.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The tone was set early in the game when Philly missed on the fake field goal attempt.

The Bucs defense was pumped and they dominated Philly after that initial drive.

The 2 TD catchs by Jurevicious (sp) were pretty awesome. The last TD catch is going to be on the highlight reels for this season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As for Martz, how did he get a reputation as an offensive genius? You're down by ten pts. You're in field goal range. It's 4th down and 12...AND YOU GO FOR IT??? He did that not once but twice in the game. Whatever man. Even a j6p like me can see that you kick the frickin FG in those situations.
I attended a Lions - Dolphins game several years ago where Don Shula did the same thing in a similar situation (going for it on 4th and long in the 4Q while down by 10 points). I never understood his reasoning, either.

I guess even Hall of Fame coaches make strange decisions every now and then. Maybe both Shula and Martz failed arithmetic in school? :)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
And I thought the eagle defense would be the trouble spot for the eagles. the eagle defense came to play ... too bad the offense couldn't give them any time to rest. it was inevitable that they'd get tired out. losing bobby taylor didn't help matters.

Oh well. Eagles always lose the first game.

Word of advice to Andy Reid...get another blocker on Simeon Rice and throw the ball down the field.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Scott, I hope you were not insinuating that Martz is a HOF coach.

It's strange how the Eagles would own the Bucs as much as they did for those 2-3 years and now the Bucs have turned the tables.

The Eagles should come back strong against the Pats, as should the Fins against the Jets.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the Patriots didn't change any of their playbook signals after releasing Lawyer Milloy, and he was more than happy to furnish his new team with the info. Makes the game easier when you know what's coming. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
In their defense, the Eagles called a good play on 4th and whatever. Smith just dropped an easy ball. Not the time to drop the ball, rookie.

The Bucs defense just looked awesome, though. I didn't see Joe's second catch...I went to bed right after the first, 'cause the game was over. The first was a season highlight, I thought.

Very dull first half.

Take care,
Chuck

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If that's true, it's just plain stupid on the part of the Patriots. Apparently, I'm giving them too much credit again as a "real" football team.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I wish they'd move MNF up to 7 or 8pm. Why is it not OK for the west coast to miss the first quarter/half, but it's OK for the east coast to miss the end of the game because people have to get up early for work? Missing the first half is definitely less critical than missing the end of the game.
Are you kidding with the 4pm start time idea? They would lose far too much money moving the time to 4pm PST. They already tried moving the start time to 5pm PST once before and it was a disaster.

If I recall correctly the research they did showed that people on the West Coast will more then likely skip the game if by the time they get home an hour of it was already over and that East Coasters are more then willing to stay up late to finish a game they have been with since the first kick off. It's a safe bet that the time will probably never change again to an earlier time because after all these years they have found that it is 6pm PST is the best possible start time to accommodate both coasts.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love defense, Pat. I was "the guy" in the offense last January explaining why the Bucs were a shoe-in for the Bowl. Their defense is just mind-blowing. But the first half was dull, with dropped passes, missed assignments, and penalties.

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If I recall correctly the research they did showed that people on the West Coast will more then likely skip the game if by the time they get home an hour of it was already over and that East Coasters are more then willing to stay up late to finish a game they have been with since the first kick off.
Unfortunately, I'm one of those Eastern Time Zone folks who rarely sees the end of the game. Patrick is probably right, though. I doubt ABC would consider an earlier time again.

As a compromise for us EST/EDT people, how about moving the start time of the Sunday night game to 8pm?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Me too. And this year I've sworn off MNF altogether. Watching only the first half is pointless and Monday games have sucked over the past couple seasons anyway.

But at least we're not inconveniencing any westies, I guess that's the important thing.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I only watch MNF when my team is in. I watched last night because, unfortunatly, my team was in. And I wish I would have went to bed.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I would have loved to watch the game last night in HD...increased resolution on offense, see the blood fly on defense. :)

I've been a Bucs fan for a long time and even I was surprised by the results of last night's game. I thought that the Eagles would show up for the entire game. I guess missing the fake field goal made them realize that even trickery wasn't going to be enough. It sure looked like they threw in the towl by the second quarter...using timeouts to set up dump-offs to Staley who couldn't even get out of bounds to stop the clock.

You know, it's really strange hearing the media calling the Bucs the best team in the NFL in week 1. Last year, we had that overtime disaster against New Orleans, and then the season was somewhat of an uphill battle to win the division. But the makings of a great offense for the Bucs are there, as shown from time to time last night. If they can just put together 1 or 2 more 60+ yard scoring drives a game, they will be unstoppable.

And Joey J....what can I say. The man is unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks