What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
How good must Jeff Fisher feel to know he's got one of the most versatile special teams players in the league? Craig Hentrich should get AFC player of the week for coming through when put on the spot. Sure, Portis and Holmes had big days, but Hentrich saved the game for the Titans after not having attempted a real field goal in almost 3 years! That coupled with his over-40-yard average on punts is one of the keys to Tennessee pulling through last night. And I fully believe that being a kicker is one of the most stressful, difficult, and unappreciated jobs on a football team. I have nothing but respect for Hentrich, and it's only a shame he doesn't get paid more.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was amazed at Hentrich's first FG attempt -- the ball took off like a rocket! Not knowing much about him, I figured Tennessee was in deep trouble against the Raiders once Nedney was hurt. Losing your place kicker in such a tight contest could have easily meant losing the game.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Dallas is getting outplayed by the Falcons today, and Doug Johnson was more than up for the challenge to keep the QB seat warmed up for Michael Vick.
I thought that Dallas lost it in the first half when they outplayed Atlanta and were only up by four. Carter had a good statistical game, but made some bad decisions.

Looks like a long season for the Cowboys

FWIW, Patrick, I was not that impressed with Johnson. He had two picked off and won by getting some good field position and one drive against what was looking like a below-average defense (and tired to boot) in the fourth.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doug Johnson had a forgettable 2nd quarter, but once the Falcons running game got into gear, Johnson settled down, and executed well in the 2nd half. Any road win in the NFL with your backup QB is a gift!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the 'Boys defense is alright, better than average actually. The Cowboys lost because they failed to capitalize of rare opportunities against a better team...something they'll have to do to win games. It's not going to get any easier.

I agree regarding Hentrich. Major kudos on 3/3 (including a 49 yarder). It DID make the difference in a very close game.

Tonight's game should be interesting, but living on the East Coast stinks. Hopefully, it'll be over by the half :D I doubt it!

Take care,
Chuck

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I loved it when Jeff Fisher was told about how loud the crowd was, then the officials pissed him off so he started waiving his arms to get the crowd even louder.

And I thought Dallas looked terrible. Falcons lost Fennerin and have Sling Johnson. The running game looked anemic there for a while. Plus the defense seemed like it was on the field way too much the first half and they still won. I'm hoping for a 2-2 record when Vick comes back. Dallas looks like it will have a very long season if Carter can not get in control. I didn't like Carter at UGA and I don't see why he is their starter. I guess lack of better options.

but living on the East Coast stinks
I love living on the east coast. I'd hate getting up at 9AM on saturdays and sundays to watch games.

Leroy

Second Unit
Miami Dolphins over Houston-an easy win over a lightly regarded team...
Exactly what Miami thought. I'm thinking whomever the player was that was overheard by the Texans saying to the press "I'll see you after this practice" wishes he had kept his mouth shut.

Not that I think my Texans will be playing at home in the Superbowl, but they shouldn't be dismissed like they are nothing. Although, that attitude by the other teams may help them win a 2-3 more games than last year.

I don't think it was that Miami just played badly, Houston MADE them play badly. Ricky with 69 yards, Feidler with 2 int's and Houston's offense allowing 0...that's ZERO sacks was pretty sweet.

GARY C

Second Unit
I loved it when Jeff Fisher was told about how loud the crowd was, then the officials pissed him off so he started waiving his arms to get the crowd even louder.
Not to nit pick, but...

The announcers (and the fans) only thought that the Raiders were complaining to the refs about the noise, but they were only asking for the player who 'pushed' the ref (can't remember his name) to be removed from the field (as he was thrown from the game for the contact). The announcers even corrected this after a bit.

Fisher used the confusion (as he should) to whip up the crowd after. His being mad (IMO) was from loosing a player for a questionable call.

All in all it was one of the worst ref'd games I have ever watched. Sucks becuase I like both teams (tho the Raiders are my fav team) and wanted to watch the players determine the outcome not the refs.

Oh well lots of games left.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
That Warner concussion thing is a bunch of bullarky. Martz is trying to give an excuse for his bad coaching and Warner's bad playing. Warner threw for 342 yards and a TD. If the concussion explains the 6 fumbles then how does it explain the yardage?

Warner just makes bad decisions and did the same thing last year. IMO, he's always made bad decisions in his career, even the MVP years. The difference is that his teammates were able to save his ass like out jumping the opponent when Warner throws into double coverage. But this team is not overloaded with talent like previous versions.

As for Martz, how did he get a reputation as an offensive genius? You're down by ten pts. You're in field goal range. It's 4th down and 12...AND YOU GO FOR IT??? He did that not once but twice in the game. Whatever man. Even a j6p like me can see that you kick the frickin FG in those situations.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I love living on the east coast. I'd hate getting up at 9AM on saturdays and sundays to watch games.
I'm just the opposite. I love living on the West Coast because the pre-game show starts at 9am, then a game at 10am, 1pm and the ESPN game at 5pm.

I'd hate to have to wait until 1pm for a game and then catch the last game of the day at 8pm. Also don't forget about 9pm MNF. Yah that's great, staying up past 12pm to watch a game.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I'm a West Coaster, but Mtn time zone is the best for football. That said, I would rather have the really early west coast schedule instead of the really late east coast schedule.

Watch out for the Chiefs!!! They now got a pretty good defense. That game was much more of a blowout than the score showed. They jumped out to a huge lead (24-0) in the first 14 minutes of the game and from then on we were playing our back-ups the rest of the game. Thats why Priest only had 89 yds rushing, he could have had 200 if they tried. It easily could have been the same score as the 49ers-Bears game if Vermeil had wanted it to.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to chime in on the East-West coast issue. I much prefer PST.

I came to Vegas 5 years ago after spending 35 years in New York. Gametime works better for me out here by far.

9AM, coffee, pre-game shows. 10AM and 1PM football. Monday night the games starts right after I get home from work. No staying up late to watch the Giants for me.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
How bout them Vikings! I'm going crazy out here in Boston not being able to see them on TV. Any Vikes fans out here with a DSS?
Mark,
Myself attending cedia was one of the longest three days in Indy as a longtime Viking fan, Not near a TV that had the viking - Packers game was very painful, I made one phone call to my wife while at the airport late Sunday,
Thant's when she told me that with just a few minutes left in the game the vikings had it in the bag. Only to discover that a few poor decisions late made the game much closer than it should have been.
I just watch the tape of the game, overall the Vikes did a great job, Daunte with those two fumbles reminds me to much of last season :frowning:
I think with the retooling the vikes have done over this past off season their pass defense when all said & done will get some respect in the league. The vikings being last year's #1 running offense they did well without 1200 yard running back Bennet.
And they won outdoors :)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
How bout them Vikings! I'm going crazy out here in Boston not being able to see them on TV. Any Vikes fans out here with a DSS?
Mark - you should come up to Good Times in Somerville! They broadcast ALL NFL games live, at the same time. They have 30 or so projectors which they use to project all the games against projection screens. Simply put, Good Times is the place to be on Sunday! It's free too!

I go up there every Sunday with a friend of mine, (she is a huge Steelers fan) - sometimes my wife tags along too. You're more than welcome to come up with us. Next Sunday, will be up there watching my beloved Titans beat the tar out of the Colts!

Here is a link to their website: http://www.goodtimeemporium.com/

It's not much to look at, but the place itself is awesome. It's an old factory now turned into an absolutely mammoth sized sports bar, arcade, pool hall, batting cages, club, even have a few indoor rides :) It's located about 5 minutes north of Boston on I-93.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Looks like Tampa Bay showed they are ready to defend their Title, going to Philly and shutting them out shows quite a bit, the Superbowl goes through TB still.

Re: East Coast West Coast....

Getting up early on Saturday is TOUGH being on the WC, and Michigan games are usually 9am or 12pm. But watching games start at 9pm or even later is also tough, you either go out and miss them or you stay up late to watch it. I was in Cleveland during the NCAA Tourny and watching the WC bracket start at 11pm SUCKED. My vote is the WC.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Eagles = OWNED

I didn't expect to be that bad and on an opening night in a new stadium nonetheless.

What happened to the Eagle Offense?

I'm not a huge Warren Sapp fan but that was just dominating.

I sense a 2 peat coming..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks