What's new

1966 Batman DVD Coming! See Post 649 (2 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Warner Archive just posted on their Twitter account photos of original costumes from the 1966 BATMAN show. The original Batman, Robin and Batgirl costumes are being shown off in photos. Here is the link: http://warnerarchive.tumblr.com/post/42551357296/spaceshiprocket-original-costumes-worn-by-adam Now, why would Warner Archive being showing off these costume photos of a TV show that is owned by 20th Century Fox?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Greg Chenoweth said:
Now, why would Warner Archive being showing off these costume photos of a TV show that is owned by 20th Century Fox?
Warners owns DC Comics :)

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
eric scott richard said:
Maybe they made a deal...WB would have rights to merchandise and FOX would have rights to the show on dvd/blu-ray. Hopefully everything will be worked out. This show was made for HD!
Same problems as before; all of the rights issues have to be worked out. I'm somewhat suspicious of this news about the show coming out on DVD when it's most likely that the issues previously mentioned haven't been dealt with. I'll believe it when I really see and hear it from actual sources at 20th Century Fox/DC Comics/Warner Bros. that everything's been solved to the satisfaction of all parties concerned. Until then, I think of this as all just a bunch of false signals being sent.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Sky Captain said:
Same problems as before; all of the rights issues have to be worked out. I'm somewhat suspicious of this news about the show coming out on DVD when it's most likely that the issues previously mentioned haven't been dealt with. I'll believe it when I really see and hear it from actual sources at 20th Century Fox/DC Comics/Warner Bros. that everything's been solved to the satisfaction of all parties concerned. Until then, I think of this as all just a bunch of false signals being sent.
I am a huge batman and would love to see two series released: 1. 1968 Cartoon Series 2. Original Batman Series. I have watch both of the series on youtube and love them. I am glad that i was able to see batman the 1966 series on YTV when i was 11-12 years old. I used to run home after school to catch the show.. In those days schools started at 8:50AM and ended at 315.pm.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sky Captain said:
I think its fair to wait for confirmation until you start to expect a DVD set. However, since you don't know whether the details have been worked out, it's rather premature to say that the signals are false. Personally, I still think that we will see a set this year. Fox settled its lawsuit with the Dozier estate a few years ago. The merchandise license WB now has is going to worth a lot more with the show on DVD where it can find new fans (i.e., children). Fox, the Dozier estate and WB/DC are the major players concerning this show. The rest of the rights complicaitons aren't that different than many other 1960s era shows.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I agree with Joe - there's been enough signals lately that indicate something is in the works that I think we'll see a release announced within the year. On the Steve Hoffman forums, a member who works in the industry (screen name Vidiot) posted this in January:
Fox was so sure that the show was going to be released on home video around 1988, they went out and did tons of interviews with all the surviving cast members and personnel... only all the footage had to be put on ice. I have seen the original negatives to the show, and they look pretty ... amazing: I never knew (for example) that there were two or three different colors going on in Batman's cape and cowl, including dark blue, grays, and blacks. Really, really beautiful show -- I bet it'd hold up very well in HD. Maybe we'll live to see it someday.
Obviously this has nothing to do with a potential release but it is exciting to know that a BD release could look reference quality if done right. The downside is that the cheapness of S3 would be even more apparent.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Steve...O said:
I agree with Joe - there's been enough signals lately that indicate something is in the works that I think we'll see a release announced within the year.   On the Steve Hoffman forums, a member who works in the industry (screen name Vidiot) posted this in January: Obviously this has nothing to do with a potential release but it is exciting to know that a BD release could look reference quality if done right.  The downside is that the cheapness of S3 would be even more apparent.
I will believe it when i see if Batman will ever make it to dvd. I love Batman, but it has been years of talk and no action!

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
younger1968 said:
I will believe it when i see if Batman will ever make it to dvd. I love Batman, but it has been years of talk and no action!
Same here; that's why I said what I said. I want to hear it from official sources, not from somebody pretending to be in the know.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Enough signals? I think maybe it is a case of wanting to believe it so bad you interpret things a certain way. This has been stretching over decades not years. It is fun to speculate but I won't believe anything until it is officially announced. If it ever does I think you can expect a really nice set with specialized packaging and loads of extras. I am skeptical about the fact that you hear so little about this release. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't have been leaked out by someone. In this modern age of communication it is almost impossible to keep anything a secret.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
dhammer said:
Enough signals? I think maybe it is a case of wanting to believe it so bad you interpret things a certain way.
Exactly. Just because "merchandise" from the series has been/is being released in no way means DVDs or Blu-Rays, it just mean "merchandise" (such as the logo T-shirt I bought at JCPenney). If a home video release ever comes, it will be announced in a big way with lots of publicity. ComiCon would be the most obvious place for such an announcement. For those of you saying you're certain it's happening, I'm saying this: if there's no announcement at ComiCon this year, you can almost certainly forget about anything happening in 2013.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
AndyMcKinney said:
Exactly. Just because "merchandise" from the series has been/is being released in no way means DVDs or Blu-Rays, it just mean "merchandise" (such as the logo T-shirt I bought at JCPenney). If a home video release ever comes, it will be announced in a big way with lots of publicity. ComiCon would be the most obvious place for such an announcement. For those of you saying you're certain it's happening, I'm saying this: if there's no announcement at ComiCon this year, you can almost certainly forget about anything happening in 2013.
I am not certain it's coming, but I think that there is a good chance. That said, you're probably right about Comic Con being the most logical place to announce it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
JoeDoakes said:
I am not certain it's coming, but I think that there is a good chance. That said, you're probably right about Comic Con being the most logical place to announce it.
Seconded, just as theb DVDs of Shazam! was announced at last year's convention.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I wonder how long the average poster has been waiting for Batman to be officially released. I remember the early days of VHS tapes. I stayed up and taped it in the middle of the night. That was anxiety producing. I acquired better copies of dvd's over the years. I will buy Batman if or when it comes out and hopefully the Green Hornet will come quickly afterwords. So I guess i have been waiting from the early to mid 80"s for this to happen. I was a big fan before but who knew anything about being able to record a show before the advent of VHS? We loved it but had to wait, sometimes years, before some channel would run it again. For many of us this would be the most important release ever. As far as there being all of this secret developments going on in privacy, I have my doubts. The Chinese can steal our nuclear secrets, When our military is planning to land an invasion force CNN or CNBC is there with their lights and cameras before they even hit the beach. But god forbid that anyone know anything about the status of this show. They must routinely murder people involved in this operation to keep them from talking. So the only real secret in this world is the current status of Batman coming out to home video.

S

silverking

I would have jumped on a release of Batman a few years back but since then it has run so many times on TV (at least here in the UK ) i've become over familiar with it. Understand all the people who want it though and I do hope it comes out soon. I have no doubt it would be a big seller too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
AndyMcKinney said:
Still hoping Blu ray and DVD releases of the Batman series are coming this year. So JC Penny's has Batman 1966 t shirts??

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
Still hoping Blu ray and DVD releases of the Batman series are coming this year. So JC Penny's has Batman 1966 t shirts??
Yeah. The shirt I bought was blue with a "distressed" black/yellow TV series logo on the front (see image) It's this one:
0717f69b_batman-blue-logo-front.jpeg
I had forgotten that Sheldon wore it on Big Bang. I snagged it a month or so ago on clearance for $5.00. I remember seeing them full price back in the late summer.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm heading out to see Batman '66 in downtown Seattle shortly. I would highly doubt there will be any news during the Q/A with Adam West and Burt Ward, but if there is, I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks