1966 Batman DVD Coming! See Post 649

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamesSmith, Jan 16, 2011.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Another one of those great hypothetical imaginary questions I love posting.
    If you were in charge of picking the DVD "extras on the Adam West Batman DVD tv series, which ones would you include, here are some of the ones I'd like to include:

1) The Batgirl Equal Pay Commercial that was done in 1970-71 that have Yvonne Craig and Burt Ward, but someone else was doing Batman
    2) the 1966 ABC Fall Preview that had Adam West and Burt Ward host the special as the Caped Crusaders
    3) the Batgirl test reel introduced Yvonne Craig as the character, fighting Ambush Bug
    4) the late seventies ABC 25th Anniversary Special which had a Batman Tribute --it's on youtube, and its a hoot. Talking about cheesy dance tributes.
    5) the Legend of the SuperHeroes specials that are now on the WB Archives program.
    6) the late eighties Fox Reunion Special that the network put on in a reproduction of the Bat-Cave, and had the last appearance of Alan Napier (Alfred)
    7) The Bat bumpers and promos starring Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar, Yvonne Craig that were included in a Bat-Marathon that also was shown in the late 80's
    8) The Bat-Reunion that was on Vicki (Vicki Lawrence's talk show), they had dress-alikes on the program who fit in the Batman, Robin, Catwoman outfits, that the original stars couldn't fit into anymore

Sincerely,

James

2. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    you make some great suggestions. However, it is highly unlikely the 1966 Batman show will ever be released.

3. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
    Thus the hypothetical comment.

Something on the convoluted copyright stuff that shows go through would be interesting too.

4. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    The original Batman movie, restored in original aspect ratio.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I am not so pessimistic on this being released. Where there is a will, there is a way, even if lawyers have to be involved. Dave Lambert has done a great write-up on the hold up. Yes, there are a lot of issues, but certainly not insurmountable. For all we know some of these may have already been resolved and are just waiting for for the others to be cleared.

What is unfortunate is that it has taken so long. Adam West is in remarkably good health, but the fact remains he's 82 or so. Let's hope a release (preferably accompanied by a BD version) comes while he is still able to meaningfully contribute.

6. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Does anyone else know of any such "extras" that could stand including in our imaginary set?

Still open to suggestions

James

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    There are various screen tests on You Tube - a comprehensive collection would be nice

a featurette on the house that doubled as "Stately Wayne Manor" as well as any behind the scenes footage of the sets and how they worked (a view from the batpoles looking down for example)

the original previews of "next week's villain" plus the original "In Color" bumpers

a featurette on how the Batmobile was created

interview with writer Lorenzo Semple Jr (still alive); can't say the same for producer Bill Self, he passed away within the last couple of months

featurette on Batman merchandising tied to the series, including records

there are videos floating around of West doing kiddie show appearances in the 70s in various states of sobriety; I doubt he'd allow these, but who knows

Time Life - are you listening?

8. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    A featurette on the Neal Hefti theme song or one that discusses the musical men behind Batman (Hefti, Billy May, Nelson Riddle, Lionel Newman), and a featurette interview with Richard Kuhn, who designed the main title intro.

A documentary on Batman, comic book character to B serial star to TV show...

9. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Also think there was a Family Feud episode with the Batman stars against . . . Was it Lost in Space?

James

10. captgoodguy

captgoodguy Stunt Coordinator

Russell
    The Batgirl Equal Pay commercial is a good one! I'd completely forgotten about that.

11. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie Stunt Coordinator

I was always under the impression that the original aspect ratio of the 1966 film was 1.85:1 (as presented on the BD). Is this not correct?

12. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    Dick Gautier

13. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    That is correct, AFAIK.

14. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Any other comments? How about a featurettte on the other Bat-writers? How about Stanley Ralph Ross? He wrote most of the Catwoman episodes, and showed up as Bullpoint Baxter in one episode, I also think he did a voice as one of the villains in the Superfriends cartoons.

James

15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I think there should be a documentary featurette on what the hell took so long to get this out on DVD. It should also point fingers and name names.
    "Holy Real-Life Villains, Batman!"

16. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    I wonder how many people knew that Batman and Robin had doubles standing in for them during all those fight scenes for the whole series. I found this out when the series aired in Chicago with very good prints. The close ups were used of the actors and then back to the fighting. I was shocked because I had not seen series for years and it had been restored for the Chicago airing. The Mr Freeze second episode in Season 2 has the doubles speaking in the pond scene!!! They are in every episode why not use them as part of the story. The Hub prints are bad compared to the HD station that aired them in Chicago. The show is off in Chicago but will be back I am sure.

17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Would like to see a feature on Nelson Riddle, as his music contributed a lot to the feel of the series. I recently saw the first episode(s) of The Man From UNCLE that he scored (The Concrete Overcoat Affair, Parts 1 and 2) and his music is so immediately identifiable to anyone who watched Batman that it took a minute to recognize that I was seeing a different show. Every kid who ever took the show seriously probably did so because the music was so convincing.

18. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Auditioning

Green Lantern
    New ideas for extras could include a heroes featurette with Aunt Harriet and Batgirl included. Aswell as a villains featurette this time focusing on all the special guest villains from the series. And last but not least audio commentary from Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar, and Yvonne Craig, on their favorite episodes would be nice.
    With that said here's a list of what's already out on DVD, VHS, and Blu-Ray.

19. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    OK, I had to go look for it as I had never heard of it prior to reading James' post:

20. Avilos

Avilos Auditioning

Tom Soliva
    Adam West has voiced various characters on a number of Batman animated series. While some are available on those series sets it would be nice if they could be part of this set is it ever happens.
    He actually voiced Batman in the last two seasons of Superfriends. No need to include all, they have their own sets, one in particular would be great feature though. An episode called The Fear was created as a Pilot for an intended spin-off that never happened. Its very significant because its the first time Batman's origin was ever told outside of the comics. Of course the 60s series never showed though it was mentioned briefly in the first episode. Adam West gives a great performance.