What's new

Zulu, Platinum Disc version (1 Viewer)

willyh

Agent
I purchased the Platinum Disc Corporation's version of Zulu at Fry's for only $4.99. The salesman told me it is "almost surely" widescreen, but I cannot find any indication one way or the other on the package. Even Amazon's site does not list the aspect ratio. I would rather not open the package until I find out. Anyone know? Any comments on the quality of this DVD? I am assuming it is about like the other Zulu discs and is only marginally better than VHS. Thanks.
Bill Hancock

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Goodtimes has made a widescreen version of Zulu available that is not bad for letterbox. I bought my copy from DVDEmpire for $5.59. For that price you can't complain about the quality. Rumor Mill has said MGM owns the rights and will release an anamorphic version on 2002. Who knows, so for now the letterbox version is better than nothing and the price is right.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
The Platinum disc is 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The picture is okay. The sound isn't too great. Good buy, however.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Get your hands on the Criterion LD version if you can. I will definately be keeping mine until a definative DVD version appears.

willyh

Agent
Thanks for your responses. Now that I know that this is a widescreen version, I will keep it, at least until a good transfer becomes available.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Willyh: The one you own is probably NOT widescreen. If the box doesn't indicate, it's P&S. The GOODTIMES release is widescreen, and has a banner at the top saying so. This movie is absolutely worthless in a pan and scan edition.

willyh

Agent
I watched part of the movie last night, it looks surprisingly good on my 32" screen and is indeed widescreen.
The packaging is a nice jewel case also. Sound is somewhat disappointing but okay. thanks everyone.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Dick: As willyh indicated, the Platinum dvd is indeed widescreen. I don't know why they did not put that aspect ratio on the cover though. It was a crap shoot when I bought it but was pleasently surprised to find it was widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks