What's new

Zhivago - Non-peelable label on paper box! (1 Viewer)

Noel Sequeira

Auditioning
Guys,
Am I the only one who is a victim of this major screw-up? If it's not just me, we should contact WB about a replacement box.
I'm not referring to the peelable security sticker - this is the plastic barcode label where the box will rip if you try to remove it.
Noel.
------------------

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Where's the sticker? On the front of the box or inside when you open it?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'm really starting to get pissed off at these dumb studios that choose to put such sticky labels on covers that can get damaged by trying to remove them. Either put the damned sticky label on the outside of the plastic wrapper, ot put a lable that can be easily peeled off. What's the problem???
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, this is pissing me off. I just got the Shrek DVD, where they chose to put a sticker directly on the DVD case and there is no way to remove it without damage. There is a stick residue all over the case. I hope Best Buy takes it back....
Henry

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Henry,
I've got the same problem with my copy of Shreck. I peeled off that stupid contest sticker, only to find that it left the sides still attached to the cover. Peeling those things off just left the sticker residue. Now every time I handle the case, it sticks to my fingers. Lovely.
As for those security stickers, they're annoying as hell. Whenever I buy a disk, at best there's only 1 attached to the package. At worst, I've had to peel off three seaparate labels (top, side and bottom). Not once has the sticker come off completely without tearing, and I've never successfully been able to peel one off without the use of a sharp object to get the job started.
The way it was explained to me, those stickers were put in place to prevent theives from ripping through the shrinkwrap on cases and stealing only the discs inside. It makes it harder (does it?) to get to the disc if you've got a sticker or two holding the case shut.
Moe.

Noel Sequeira

Auditioning
Anyone have a phone number for Warner Customer Service? I'm going to go through them.
If I had purchased the Disc from a big store I would have surely returned it, but I got it from a Mom and Pop store and don't really want to hassle them for something that is not their fault.
Noel.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Re: the glue residue, it's been posted in other threads, but Goo Gone, a liquid you can get at hardware stores, gets rid of it in no time -- my Shrek was all gunked up on the cover, and now you couldn't tell anything was even there.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately this won't be as easy to fix as the Shrek case. That one was plastic. This one is a snapper case--paper. Why do they insist on being so idiotic? How hard is it to shrinkwrap the case and then put the sticker on the outside? Freakin' snappers...
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
what sticker was on Doctor Zhivago? my copy arrived today with only the usual title sticker on the top and a security sticker on the side, both easily removable.
btw, Yohan: it's not a snapper, it's a paper case similar to Fight Club and Citizen Kane.
DJ

Noel Sequeira

Auditioning
Yes - the title sticker on the top was stuck to the paper box with permanent glue. I must have a freak box since it has not happened to anyone else yet - we'll see when everyone gets their copies tomorrow.
I'm still going to persue it with warner though.
Noel.
------------------

Nick P

Second Unit
O.K. guys, I know this might sound strange but you can use lighter fluid to remove a sticker from cardboard material. Squirt the fluid around the edges of the sticker and let it soak in. The lighter fluid will loosen the adhesive and the sticker can be removed. It may take more than one or two applications of fluid but it will work. I've been a toy collector for years and we (collectors) use lighter fluid all the time to remove price stickers from old toy boxes and figure cards. Also, don't freak out when the paper looks wet, the lighter fluid will evaporate. The first time I tried it no one warned me about this and I thought I'd just ruined a 400.00 carded figure!
------------------

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You said it was a barcode? Was it under the shrink? Did the shrink have the little top tag on the top? The reason I ask is that the store may have put their own UPC on it, because it conflicted with something else
Jeff Kleist

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
I am beginning to wonder if it is the RETAILER who is putting these "non-removable" labels on the cases/boxes (although this would not make sense, considering the security labels are underneath the plastic shrinkwrap, which I assume must be put on at the factory).
I received Shrek last Thursday - no sticker ANYWHERE on the cover.
I received Dr. Zhivago today - although there were two security stickers, both of them were the kind that were easy to remove. I removed both with no trouble and no damage whatsoever to the cover.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I had the same problem with the Dr. Zhivago DVD. When I removed the title sticker across the top of the case, it removed the surface of the cardboard.
I was afraid of this when I first saw security stickers on snappers. However, those stickers are very easy to remove (except for the fact that they split them into 3 pieces... what's up with that?). The security sticker came off of the Zhivago DVD easliy. It was the title/barcode sticker that left me with a case that's glossy on the front, back, sides & bottom, but looks like a worn paper towel on the top.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My copy of Dr. Zhivago had the magnetic security tab stuck to the beautiful artwork under the disc tray inside the case (same deal as Citizen Kane). It took some delicate surgery to remove it without damaging the cardboard.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
btw, Yohan: it's not a snapper, it's a paper case similar to Fight Club and Citizen Kane
Oops. You know what happens when you assume? You make an ass out of Uma Thurman. My fault.
Anybody pick up their copy locally at a B&M? I'm thinking about going to Best Buy after work to pick up a copy, but if they all have the blasted stickers on them I might not after all.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
Mine only had the security sticker on the inside. Of better note however, DZ was 17.99 at Best Buy. They had some sort of error, and had printed labels with 17.99 on the DVD (the shelf tag said 24.99).
I assume they'll fix this, so get them while you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks