What's new

Zefferelli's HAMLET on 2/24/04 (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
For those waiting for the Branaugh Hamlet to be released on DVD, here is at least the "appatizer" version with Mel Gibson to tide us over:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...881956-4015866

I like this film alot, in fact I personally like it a little more than Branaugh's film, and I definately want both versions since I've collected every version of Hamlet that has been released!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Has the WHV announced what extras will be on the disc? That's one that definitely will go into my collection, hands down! :)

I'm like you, I like this version of "Hamlet" the best, since I studied Shakespeare in graduate school and was assigned "Hamlet" because of the film. I've also found some interesting versions of the play on video and other media:

- the New York City Shakespeare Festival version of "Hamlet" with Kevin Kline (it's about 3 hours long and everyone's in modern attire)
- the 30-minute HBO segment from "Shakespeare: The Animated Tales" hosted by Robin Williams
- the 30-minute HBO special "Classic Mel Gibson: The Making of Hamlet" (which I hope they put on the DVD)
- the HBO special "Mel Gibson Goes Back to School", where he goes to a couple of high schools as a guest teacher to talk about the play and the film (this one should also be on the DVD as well!)

But the most off-beat version of them all is one that appeared in print from Pocket Books a few years ago: The Klingon Hamlet!

In any event, I hope that WHV packs out the Hamlet DVD for February.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard anything about extras on this DVD yet.

I also have that Kevin Kline version (which was first broadcast on PBS the same time Gibson's was released), but I don't have the others you mentioned.

I do have:

The film from a couple of years ago with Cambell Scott (not great, but interesting).

The BBC version from around 1980 with Derrek Jacobi (my favorite!)

The b&w "rehearsal" film with Richard Burton directed by Gielgud

Olivier's 1948 film

VHS tape "Discovering Hamlet" with Branaugh, directed by Jacobi

Audio productions of Gielgud and Branaugh

What I don't have yet are:

Late-1960's version with Nicol Williamson and Anthony Hopkins

Branaugh's 4-hour epic

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Just wanted to say I thought the PQ on this disc was extraordinary. Much better than I've ever seen the film (including my recollections of the theatrical print).

The 2.0 Surround track is serviceable and the extras are pretty cool: 1) The trailer, 2) An 11 minute "making-of" documentary, and 3) a 50-some minute "journal" shot with Mel that goes through the shooting schedule chronologically.

Recommended.

Rob

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know there were ANY extras of significance on this disc. I expect it to arrive today or tomorrow, and now I'm even more excited to get it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
should have gone out Tues morning.
every place i went to was sold out tonight
("we just sold the last one")

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Picked this up at Media Play today, only place out of a total 5 stores checked that had it.
I haven't seen this since high school, but I remember liking it. Should tide me over until we get Branagh's :D

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I went to BestBuy yesterday, and all they had was the Ethan Hawke version. I just figured they were being stupid and not stocking it. Maybe they also sold out? Not artistically, I mean..

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my BB clearly had a space where Hamlet must have been.
the space was big enough that it looked like they had stocked them facing front as well.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
According to my local BB they will not be stocking Hamlet or the Man without a Face DVDs. If you notice on BB's website the 2 movies aren't available for in store pickup.

Matthew R

Agent
Just wanted to chime in to agree with Rob about the picture quality-- very nice. A little bit of DNR smearing, but no edge enhancement and overall very good detail and color. Oh, and the movie was good, too. ;) I hadn't seen this since 1991 (on my first date with the woman who is now my wife), and I had forgotten how well-made the film was. Ian Holm, in particular, is excellent as usual.

--Matthew

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for this
Though i think I'm waiting in vain for the Branagh Hamlet
I'm hoping this week's chat with Warners will shed some light
Rob

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas

I am getting most of my movies online because of this. It's their loss!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks