What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Delighted with the Kino Blu Ray announcement for DREAMCHILD! Is there any possibility that another memorable fantasy film, PHOTOGRAPHING FAIRIES, might also be on the horizon?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I went to see the Fiddler Doc at the Angelica simply because Rosiland Harris was going to be there and she and Frey are the best things about the movie. And a friend had bought tickets and dragged me.

I have to say I simply do not like the film of Fiddler. I think it's a very pale copy of a great musical. In the winter of '71 I was taken to see the musical still in its initial run at the Broadway theater. I had grown up with the obc and loved it. Still I wasn't prepared for Jerome Robbins' work of genius. The magnificent staging and dancing and the richly colored sets and costumes had me floored. This was why people loved Broadway musicals.
Later that very year In Nov of '71 I went to see the movie at the Rivoli a few blocks south where it had just had its world premiere. And what did I see on that large curved screen? BROWN! Nothing but brown filmed through a stocking. Sheesh. The dancing was all washed away, Topol's performance had absolutely nothing of Mostel's power on the obc and to this day when I give it a look on TCM I think yep just as bad as a half a century ago.
Look at Tradition which is so beautifully staged by Robbins. And what does Jewison come up with? Nothing but a montage of eastern european poverty with people going about their daily chores. Now I know I'm in the tiny minority and people love this movie but for me it is a penance.
Fortunately the musical was revived at the Winter Garden in the mid 70's with Mostel and the original production so I got to relive that gorgeous experience multiple times. I only wish that genius Zero wasn't such a bad boy and wish he had stuck to the script.
He is brilliant in The Producers and Funny Thing so with the right director he could have been glorious in the film of Fiddler. And would some color have been such a terrible thing? Aronson and Zipprodt had rich yellows, greens, blues, reds and oranges filling the stage. Unforgettable.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I went to see the Fiddler Doc at the Angelica simply because Rosiland Harris was going to be there and she and Frey are the best things about the movie. And a friend had bought tickets and dragged me.

I have to say I simply do not like the film of Fiddler. I think it's a very pale copy of a great musical. In the winter of '71 I was taken to see the musical still in its initial run at the Broadway theater. I had grown up with the obc and loved it. Still I wasn't prepared for Jerome Robbins' work of genius. The magnificent staging and dancing and the richly colored sets and costumes had me floored. This was why people loved Broadway musicals.
Later that very year In Nov of '71 I went to see the movie at the Rivoli a few blocks south where it had just had its world premiere. And what did I see on that large curved screen? BROWN! Nothing but brown filmed through a stocking. Sheesh. The dancing was all washed away, Topol's performance had absolutely nothing of Mostel's power on the obc and to this day when I give it a look on TCM I think yep just as bad as a half a century ago.
Look at Tradition which is so beautifully staged by Robbins. And what does Jewison come up with? Nothing but a montage of eastern european poverty with people going about their daily chores. Now I know I'm in the tiny minority and people love this movie but for me it is a penance.
Fortunately the musical was revived at the Winter Garden in the mid 70's with Mostel and the original production so I got to relive that gorgeous experience multiple times. I only wish that genius Zero wasn't such a bad boy and wish he had stuck to the script.
He is brilliant in The Producers and Funny Thing so with the right director he could have been glorious in the film of Fiddler. And would some color have been such a terrible thing? Aronson and Zipprodt had rich yellows, greens, blues, reds and oranges filling the stage. Unforgettable.
I saw the original staging, not with Mostel, and enjoyed it much more than the bloated film version.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Kino just signed a new deal with Paramount
"We just signed a new Paramount deal. I can't share any details till later, it includes 65 new titles, 3 Paramount renewals and 3 CBS renewals, 71 in total."

I hope for The Shootist, Bad Company, Will Penny, and Destination Inner Space off the top of my head ! :)

DeanHarris

Agent
Real Name
Dean Harris
Still looking for one of these!
89008B2F52.1.jpg

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Kino just signed a new deal with Paramount
"We just signed a new Paramount deal. I can't share any details till later, it includes 65 new titles, 3 Paramount renewals and 3 CBS renewals, 71 in total."

I hope for The Shootist, Bad Company, Will Penny, and Destination Inner Space off the top of my head ! :)

Anyone think the Paramount deal includes some REPUBLIC titles that the studio owns? As you all most likely know, Paramount owns the Republic Library...I'm not hoping on Serials (would be nice for an OFFICAL box set of the 3 "Rocketman" serials or The "Spy Smasher" compilation film Ben Burtt put together and showed off at the TCMCFF a few weeks ago) but there's the Westerns - especially the Tru-Colors and a few good "A" titles PHV never released...

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Another vote here for a Henry Aldrich set. Also some neglected musicals such as LADY IN THE DARK and THE JOKER IS WILD. Finally, an all but forgotten 1940 film ... THE WAY OF ALL FLESH ... and the Bob Hope Oscar bid BEAU JAMES.

Last edited:

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
A Paramount deal, I'm assuming, would include post '49 Paramount releases, the earlier ones being mainly controlled by Universal.
With that in mind here are some titles I'd love to see on Blu:

1950's
THE LAST OUTPOST('51) Ronald Reagan, Rhonda Fleming
DETECTIVE STORY('51) Kirk Douglas, Eleanor Parker
AARON SLICK FROM PUNKIN CRICK('52) Dinah Shore, Alan Young
HONG KONG('52) Ronald Reagan, Rhonda Fleming
THUNDER IN THE EAST('53) Alan Ladd, Deborah Kerr
ELEPHANT WALK('54) Elizabeth Taylor, Dana Andrews
THE NAKED JUNGLE('54) Charlton Heston, Eleanor Parker
RED GARTERS('54) Jack Carson, Rosemary Clooney
SECRET OF THE INCAS('54) Charlton Heston, Thomas Mitchell
CONQUEST OF SPACE('55) Eric Fleming, Walter Brooke
THE PARTY CRASHERS('58) Bobby Driscoll,Connie Stevens
THAT KIND OF WOMAN('59) Sophia Loren, Tab Hunter

(I know that "The Naked Jungle" and "Conquest of Space" exist in pricey Australian Blu's
but it would be nice if domestic releases from Kino were possible)

The 1960's
THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG('60) William Holden, Nancy Kwan
THE AMOROUS ADVENTURES OF MOLL FLANDERS('65) Kim Novak, Richard Johnson
THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED('66) Natalie Wood, Robert Redford

The 1970's
ASH WEDNESDAY('73) Elizabeth Taylor, Henry Fonda

plus a wild card from 1949
BRIDE OF VENGEANCE('49) Paulette Goddard, Macdonald Carey

For some reason Universal didn't seem to pick this one up when they acquired the pre-50's Paramounts.
So I'm hoping Paramount controls it.

Hoping at least some of the above make the cut.

And if the Paramount deal includes Republic titles from the 40's and 50's I'd welcome:

SIS HOPKINS('41) Judy Canova, Bob Crosby, Susan Hayward
SAILORS ON LEAVE('41) William Lundigan, Shirley Ross
HEADIN' FOR GOD'S COUNTRY('43) William Lundigan, Virginia Dale
THE GREAT FLAMARION('45) Erich von Stroheim, Mary Beth Hughes, Dan Duryea
SPECTER OF THE ROSE('46) Judith Anderson, Michael Chekhov
NORTHWEST OUTPOST('47) Nelson Eddy, Ilona Massey
CALENDAR GIRL('47) Jane Frazee, William Marshall, Kenny Baker
THE AVENGERS('50) John Carroll, Adele Mara, Fernando Lamas
DAKOTA INCIDENT('56) Dale Robertson, Linda Darnell, Ward Bond

Plus if Kino still has interest in putting out some Roy Rogers titles, I'd suggest

LIGHTS OF OLD SANTA FE('44)
BELLS OF ROSARITA('45)
UNDER CALIFORNIA STARS('48)
TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD('50)
TWILIGHT IN THE SIERRAS('50)

(all good ones - and the last three are in vivid lollipop Trucolor)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
After reading these wishlists and those on the other forum, I have my doubts that we will be seeing any of these (since I seem to be one of the few asking for them), but I still hope to see these included (either in this deal or any future deals with Paramount).

On blu-ray:
Let's Dance (1950)
The Pleasure Of His Company (1961)
Mr. Music (1950)
Anything Goes (1956)
Here Comes The Groom (1951)
any Bob Hope films (or any with Bing Crosby that I didn't list here)

On 4K UHD:
White Christmas (1954)
Funny Face (1957)
Any other Audrey Hepburn films

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks