What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (10 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Fortunately the musical was revived at the Winter Garden in the mid 70's with Mostel and the original production so I got to relive that gorgeous experience multiple times. I only wish that genius Zero wasn't such a bad boy and wish he had stuck to the script.
He is brilliant in The Producers and Funny Thing so with the right director he could have been glorious in the film of Fiddler. And would some color have been such a terrible thing? Aronson and Zipprodt had rich yellows, greens, blues, reds and oranges filling the stage. Unforgettable.
A recording of the revival of Fiddler with Zero Mostel was made for Library at Lincoln Center. Sadly because as you mentioned Zero would shamelessly adlib that Jerome Robbins put severe restictions on who is allowed to see the recording. I believe it is only available to theater professionals who want to recreate the original staging.

Here is a 2 minute clip from that recording.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope the Paramount Deal includes the following in New 4K Transfers:
Rio Lobo 1970
Hatari! 1962
Donovan’s Reef 1963
Circus World 1964
In Harms Way 1965
The Sons Of Katie Elder 1965
El Dorado 1967
True Grit 1969
Big Jake 1971

The extant Blu of TRUE GRIT looks pretty good to me. A 4K would be fine. But HATARI! looks like shit and needs a new transfer based on a new (4K?) negative scan.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A Paramount deal, I'm assuming, would include post '49 Paramount releases, the earlier ones being mainly controlled by Universal.
There are a few select pre-1949 Paramount titles still with Paramount like "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" (1946). Another example is "I Walk Alone" (1946) that Kino previously released on Blu-ray during a prior Paramount agreement.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Anyone think the Paramount deal includes some REPUBLIC titles that the studio owns? As you all most likely know, Paramount owns the Republic Library...I'm not hoping on Serials (would be nice for an OFFICAL box set of the 3 "Rocketman" serials or The "Spy Smasher" compilation film Ben Burtt put together and showed off at the TCMCFF a few weeks ago) but there's the Westerns - especially the Tru-Colors and a few good "A" titles PHV never released...
It includes a couple of Republic titles, but nothing minor. No serials.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Zero Mostel was one of those stage performers who didn't transition well to film. On stage, he was wonderful but he was simply too much on screen. It worked for the film version of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum because that was essentially burlesque. Fiddler On The Roof dealt with a harsh reality which required subtlety Mostel wasn't capable of. He's one of the reasons I dislike the 1967 The Producers. It was like sitting next to a person yelling for 2 hours. Funny, yes? Funny, no! Mostel's oversized personality just didn't work on the screen. Carol Channing and Ethel Merman are two other stage personalities whose film careers were hampered by their playing to the balcony style. Sometimes, in the right part, it could work (like Merman's battle axe mother in law in It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World) but not when playing real human beings.
In interviews Sheldon Harnick mentions that his and Jerry Bock's first choice for Tevye was Howard DaSilva (Benjamin Franklin in 1776). When Jerry Robbins joined the team he said DaSilva would play it as real and they needed someone bigger than life and suggested Zero Mostel.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I sincerely hope the new deal with Paramount will result in first time releases of My Six Loves and The Pleasure of His Company.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Kino just signed a new deal with Paramount
"We just signed a new Paramount deal. I can't share any details till later, it includes 65 new titles, 3 Paramount renewals and 3 CBS renewals, 71 in total."

I hope for The Shootist, Bad Company, Will Penny, and Destination Inner Space off the top of my head ! :)
Blue Hawaii
Girls! Girls! Girls!
Fun In Acapulco
Roustabout
Paradise Hawaiian Style
Easy Come Easy Go

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member