What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pitfall -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Andre De Toth's Pitfall, a 1948 noir, could have been a lost film, had The UCLA Film & Television Archive, with financial support of The Film Foundation, not copied what may be the sole remaining 35mm print.

Might the original picture neg and track be hidden away somewhere in a storage locker?

I can't believe that UCLA would copy a print, had they thought that the original elements survived.

What we have is what appears to be derived from a slightly shrunken print, but with generally decent picture information, and a more than useable track.

This is one of those cases in which the look of the Blu-ray isn't the whole story, so let's just say that it much more than watchable.

It's the play that the thing, and Pitfall is a worthy 86 minutes of your time.

Couldn't be happier that Kino Lorber saw fit to put this one out.

Fans of Dick Powell and Lizabeth Scott rejoice.

Image - 2.75 *

Audio - 3*

4k Up-rez - N/A

Pass / Fail - Pass

* Extenuating circumstances

Recommended

RAH

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The release of this one and the forthcoming TOO LATE FOR TEARS are fine memorials to the great, underrated Lizabeth Scott. This one also intrigues me as a fan of FATHER KNOWS BEST to see a darker side of Jane Wyatt's suburban housewife and mother.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm not a fan of Lizabeth Scott but I do like this film. I'm so pleased to be able to upgrade from that very sub-standard DVD.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Pitfall comes to Blu Ray? Sweet! Cant wait to see the hi-rez versions of this:

yb1BhYC.gif

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I had never seen this film until I watched the blu-ray a week or so ago. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the picture quality (after receiving fair warning - thanks). And, maybe I was in a bad mood, but the film itself didn't grab me, either.

Last night, I watched it again while listening to Eddie Mueller's commentary. This is why commentaries can be wonderful additions to a film. Mueller was funny, insightful, and added the right amount of history and background info to enrich the experience. I've enjoyed many great commentaries by Eddie Mueller and others on various noir and other classic films. Keep it up, Mr. Mueller and colleagues!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had never seen this film until I watched the blu-ray a week or so ago. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the picture quality (after receiving fair warning - thanks). And, maybe I was in a bad mood, but the film itself didn't grab me, either.

Last night, I watched it again while listening to Eddie Mueller's commentary. This is why commentaries can be wonderful additions to a film. Mueller was funny, insightful, and added the right amount of history and background info to enrich the experience. I've enjoyed many great commentaries by Eddie Mueller and others on various noir and other classic films. Keep it up, Mr. Mueller and colleagues!
I finally got around to watching my Blu-ray today with and without Muller's commentary. I haven't seen this film in years and thought this Blu-ray was pretty good considering the history of the film elements. IMO, this is one of the best film noirs ever made with some excellent dialogue and a film outcome that isn't wrapped up into a nice tidy bow.

The Cry Danger Blu-ray is next on my viewing list this week.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched Pitfall the other night. Basically, you can count on De Toth to deliver an interesting picture. This one features an excellent cast with a very slimy Raymond Burr. It also has a very adult story about fidelity and how the decisions you make in life can have severe consequences.

Not my favorite Noir nor my favorite picture from De Toth but a good film with a very intelligent script. Plus I think Burr alone is worth the price of admission here as he really delivers a creepy vibe as he stalks Lizabeth Scott.

Funny to learn as well that De Toth liked Dick Powell as an actor but as a person thought he was a real schmuck.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I can report, having just watched this after watching Force of Evil, that special features on this disc are present and accounted for, ha!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can report, having just watched this after watching Force of Evil, that special features on this disc are present and accounted for, ha!
Well the Force of Evil disc is a Olive release while Pitfall is a Kino one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks