What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (9 Viewers)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Those Daring Young Men in thier Flying Machines seems to be MIA? It seems that someone a while ago did the DVD? Any chance of a restored BD edition? Afterall this was the precerser to the Janunty Jaolpies feature.

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965) is a Fox title, got a nice DVD release (from Fox itself) back in the day, but is now Di$ney property, so expect nothing from them, unless Criterion has a go at a Blu-ray edition, which I think is, sadly, rather unlikely.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Those Daring Young Men in thier Flying Machines seems to be MIA? It seems that someone a while ago did the DVD? Any chance of a restored BD edition? Afterall this was the precerser to the Janunty Jaolpies feature.
Twilight Time did a blu-ray several years ago. As that it is a Fox film controlled by Disney, I doubt we will see a new release.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Assuming you mean “Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines”, that came out in 2012 on Blu-ray from Twilight Time.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Those Daring Young Men and Their Jaunty Jalopies aka Monte Carlo Or Bust (1965) was released by Kino in 2017 and is about to go out of print every soon.

1651457900017.png

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There's also a German blu-ray of "Flying Machines". Unless it's gone OOP recently.

Just checked. Nope, it's still available from Amazon DE for under 10 Euros. There's also a Marketplace seller on Amazon US that's selling copies of the Japanese blu-ray for under $25.
Thanks I'll search it out!!!

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Does anyone have the FRANCIS collection yet? I was only able to order it today using PayPal since Kino doesn't allow that type of payment for preorders. How many discs and how do they look? Thanks!

**nevermind...just read the Harris review**

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, purchased this release of "Jaunty" - mainly for Houdini.
1651498169030.png

"Jaunty" is good but not nearly as good as The Great Race. "Jaunty" has more of a nostalgic appeal to me as I first saw it as a kid *after* seeing "Flying Machines." IIRC its main influence was the cartoon "Wacky Races" being mostly based on this movie (Wikipedia say it's The Great Race - but the films are very, very, similar and Tony Curtis is in both so...).

I don't know if the KINO release of "Jaunty" is an improvement over this release. If so I *might* pick it up but, honestly, this one's "good enough" for my needs. It's no longer available on KINO's site - but *is* currently available from, what's assumed to be, their Amazon presence.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
On the KL Announcement thread, KL Insider wrote: "There are only 15 more announcements to go from our current Universal deal. All 15 will be part of our ongoing FILM NOIR: THE DARK SIDE OF CINEMA series. Volumes 11 to 15."

Here's hoping a certain cheezy 1957 espionage title falls sufficiently under the heading of "noir"....

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Can anyone refresh my memory with the name of the company which offers super-cheap international shipping on Kino products? I think they're a major wholesaler of kino products. I can't buy direct from the Kino site as they won't ship to Australia..

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Can anyone refresh my memory with the name of the company which offers super-cheap international shipping on Kino products? I think they're a major wholesaler of kino products. I can't buy direct from the Kino site as they won't ship to Australia..

Deep Discount, DVD Empire, or maybe even Bull Moose as well.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not quite .. Deep Discount is certainly cheaper than Amazon for instance, but the company I'm thinking of it maybe also a manufacturer of the discs.
Thanks for getting back to me though.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Not quite .. Deep Discount is certainly cheaper than Amazon for instance, but the company I'm thinking of it maybe also a manufacturer of the discs.
Thanks for getting back to me though.
Manufacturing of discs are usually done in a different country most commonly in Mexico.

Mexico to Australia would be :emoji_moneybag::emoji_moneybag::emoji_moneybag::emoji_moneybag::emoji_moneybag::emoji_moneybag: expensive to ship

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I've bought a few from ImportCDs - their shipping to Australia is reasonable, perhaps not 'super cheap'.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Maybe a future 3-D Blu-ray release by Kino Lorber?

Posted on another site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Kino Insider - You mentioned before that you thought one of the 50s MGM titles was released on a Shout 4-pack, but then suggested you may have been mistaken on that. If so, would that mean there are in fact no titles formerly released on DVD by Shout in the deal? Thanks.
I don't see one, except for the one I thought they had released. I know it was under license to them for a while, maybe they never released it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Kino Insider - Big ask, but do you think you'll be in a position at any point to give us a by-year breakdown of the MGM deal? Even if say it was limited solely to the new-to-Blu titles in the deal? Thanks.
Here it is:

1958 x 2
1985 x 5
1987 x 4
1988 x 4
1989 x 3

I don't think I've missed anything.

Announced so far were the 5 Mr. Wongs, 7 Truffaut films and Programmed to Kill.
Based on this information. It appears that the 3-D film will be Bwana Devil (1952).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks