What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Kino doesn’t have a deal with Sony. Paramount and Universal are a different story.

That's why I said "in the future". They did in 2022 -

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why I said "in the future". They did in 2022 -
Frank Tarzi didn't sound optimistic about such a deal.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Just finished up Secret of the Incas. Fun film and Heston was great. PQ was a little soft but otherwise a great transfer.

Quick question about some tv films. Who owns the rights to Gone to Texas with Sam Elliott and Alamo:13 Days of Glory with Alec Baldwin? I’d love for Kino to pick these up if possible.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just finished up Secret of the Incas. Fun film and Heston was great. PQ was a little soft but otherwise a great transfer.

Quick question about some tv films. Who owns the rights to Gone to Texas with Sam Elliott and Alamo:13 Days of Glory with Alec Baldwin? I’d love for Kino to pick these up if possible.
Thanks Tim, was that the Imprint Edition BD?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The new Kino release. Got it on release date. Overall looks real nice but there are some soft scenes.
I was going to wait and get the Kino release and see which edition offers a better overall version. I know the Imprint edition has it's issues as well!!

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
This may not have been mentioned here so far, but per the chat with Frank Tarzi, two more Audie Murphy Collections are on the way (Volume II expected to consist of 3 1950's westerns while Volume III will have 3 1960's westerns) and two more installments of the fan favorite Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema series are in the future (one of MGM/UA noirs and one of Paramount noirs).

Also, Tarzi also mentioned the possibility of previous stand alone released noirs being repackaged and comprising future volumes in the series.

I'm absolutely curious to see what Paramount owned titles will comprise the Noir set.
I will get the Audie Murphy sets so long as the movies have Audio Commentary tracks. I feel like Audie Murphy is an underrated actor. His Western films tend to vary in quality from good to very good.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
two more installments of the fan favorite Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema series are in the future (one of MGM/UA noirs and one of Paramount noirs).
Don't know about the Paramounts but for MGM/UA how about this triple bill?
IMPACT('49) Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Helen Walker, Charles Coburn, Anna May Wong
WICKED WOMAN('53) Beverly Michaels, Richard Egan, Percy Helton
HIT AND RUN('57) Cleo Moore, Hugo Haas, Vince Edwards

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Don't know about the Paramounts but for MGM/UA how about this triple bill?
IMPACT('49) Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Helen Walker, Charles Coburn, Anna May Wong
WICKED WOMAN('53) Beverly Michaels, Richard Egan, Percy Helton
HIT AND RUN('57) Cleo Moore, Hugo Haas, Vince Edwards
I would love to have Impact on Blu-ray from high-quality film elements, in large part because of its extensive location photography in my home town back when I was two years old. But it was an independent production, with UA involved only in the initial theatrical distribution. FWI worth, the 2000 Image DVD came from materials owned by Wade Williams.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I would love to have Impact on Blu-ray from high-quality film elements, in large part because of its extensive location photography in my home town back when I was two years old. But it was an independent production, with UA involved only in the initial theatrical distribution. FWI worth, the 2000 Image DVD came from materials owned by Wade Williams.
Thanks for the info. So if "Impact" is off the table, I'll substitute Mark Stevens' terrific '56 production "Time Table" (which he both directed and starred in).
A triple bill of "Wicked Woman", "Hit and Run" and "Time Table" would still make a great package for hardcore noir lovers.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Two other suggested titles for Kino to release on DVD and Blu-ray:

Gunn (1967) from Paramount

Willy McBean and His Magic Machine (1965); I believe Universal owns the rights Via Dreamworks Animation's DreamWorks Classics subsidiary (if that information is wrong, please correct me). If Kino's release of The Daydreamer on DVD and Blu-ray sold well, Willy McBean and His Magic Machine would make a great companion release.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
WOW 2 weeks to go! My dvd is fine for me but you blu ray fans this is a must own!

Attachments

• 1678837065887.png
    1678837065887.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
A triple bill of "Wicked Woman", "Hit and Run" and "Time Table" would still make a great package for hardcore noir lovers.
Another ideal MGM (United Artists) film noir set would be:

Canon City (1948, Eagle-Lion film that is part of the current MGM/UA catalog)
The Scarf (1951)
Vice Squad (1953)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Two other suggested titles for Kino to release on DVD and Blu-ray:

Gunn (1967) from Paramount

Willy McBean and His Magic Machine (1965); I believe Universal owns the rights Via Dreamworks Animation's DreamWorks Classics subsidiary (if that information is wrong, please correct me). If Kino's release of The Daydreamer on DVD and Blu-ray sold well, Willy McBean and His Magic Machine would make a great companion release.

It's been said previously by one Insider or another that there are clearance issues (most likely with music) with Gunn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks