What's new

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
One thing about Paint Your Wagon that is extremely odd for a musical is that there isn't a single duet between characters: Every song is either a solo or a solo with choral backing. Possibly the reason it appeals to some who don't normally like musicals is because it doesn't adhere to the structural conventions of a musical: It's not a story told through song, it's more like a western dramedy that has a song thrown in every once in a while.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I get the impression that most people who dislike it are big musical fans, I generally don’t like musicals. There’s no big dance numbers, & only one big showstopper song, Mariah, & Harve Presnell only gets this one song, even though he’s the only one in the cast who can really sing (what a voice!), so yes, not really a Rogers & Hammerstein 50’s musical job…& I’ve said it before, but it’s totally Lee Marvin’s film, I’d hate to think how it would have turned out without him.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, I get the impression that most people who dislike it are big musical fans, I generally don’t like musicals. There’s no big dance numbers, & only one big showstopper song, Mariah, & Harve Presnell only gets this one song, even though he’s the only one in the cast who can really sing (what a voice!), so yes, not really a Rogers & Hammerstein 50’s musical job…& I’ve said it before, but it’s totally Lee Marvin’s film, I’d hate to think how it would have turned out without him.
I agree. I don’t generally like musicals but I like Paint Your Wagon. I also like Camelot and Man of La Mancha, both of which I don’t think appealed to traditional musical fans. I absolutely hate Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
There’s no big dance numbers,
But there's a lot of stomping in the mud. And the Broadway production was choreographed by Agnes DeMille. I'm sure all her friends told her not to go it would break her heart. Purist though I am I enjoy this film immensely as you know.
Down to $23.39 on Amazon. Still not cheap enough for me.

'I absolutely hate Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals'
Blasphemy!
You might have enjoyed the most recent reimagined production of Oklahoma! where there are gay undertones to Curly's and Judd's relationship(well that's what I heard)and Laurie gets married in a wedding dress covered by Judd's blood. Can you imagine?

Last edited:

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
You might have enjoyed the most recent reimagined production of Oklahoma! where there are gay undertones to Curly's and Judd's relationship(well that's what I heard)and Laurie gets married in a wedding dress covered by Judd's blood. Can you imagine?
No I can’t, but at 62 yrs old, I’m not Broadway’s target audience anymore. That’s why Hamilton was so successful, as its appeal was drawing in heavily on the under 40 crowd. And it certainly did that with great success. The same thought process went into producing an all-female broadway cast of 1776. The producers weren’t looking to draw in old school theater goers like me, but the younger generation that went to see Hamilton 10 times.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm not either. I'm old enough to have seen all the original productions of the Sondheim/Prince productions sometimes more than once. They were tremendous. I can only compare them to the Ingmar Bergman directed theatrical productions that were brought over from Sweden to the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
But in the case of Oklahoma! as well as Paint Your Wagon do young people really want to hear these scores? A small group of young musical theater performers sure but I would think hardly enough to make it financially worthwhile no matter how 'edgy' the productions.
So I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we get a Paint Your Wagon in 4k or a film like Idiot's Delight in bluray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jls
Recent bookmarks