What's new

Your Favorite Dinosaur Movie? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What is your favorite dinosaur movie? For purposes of the discussion exclude the Jurassic Park (and World) movies. I almost want to exclude movies in which the dino isn't the featured creature (original King Kong), but I won't. I'd love to hear about movies I'm not familiar with.

To start, I think (at least it first came to mind) my favorite is Valley of Gwangi. It's got Ray Harryhausen animating a t-rex (ok, I know it's not a t-rex) being roped by cowboys. Does it get better.? I can't include 1 Million Years BC (Raquel's version) because the story and dialogue is so tedious.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The Little Yellow Dinosaur on ViewMaster...

1971-View-Master-THE-LITTLE-YELLOW-DINOSAUR-3.jpg

89a3da22eeb0d6f824908c9faa7f4fb2.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
UGH! Why did ya have to exclude Jurassic Park/World movies!? :) (I would have voted JP1)

I got nothin now.
Seems like ya slipped it in anyway. :) I was hoping to encourage nominations that were a little off the beaten track.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, we've certainly mention movies off the beaten track. No love for Gwangi besides me?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I like Dinosaurus , Gorgo , Giant Behemoth, and Beast From 20000 Fathoms . And yes I know that technically the last three aren't really dinosaur movies since the creatures aren't real dinosaurs .

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I like Dinosaurus , Gorgo , Giant Behemoth, and Beast From 20000 Fathoms . And yes I know that technically the last three aren't really dinosaur movies since the creatures aren't real dinosaurs .
They work for me, especially Beast from 20K.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Since we're excluding the JP movies (which to me is like asking what is the best Western but you have to exclude John Wayne movies - headscratcher), I'd say the 2005 King Kong movie is the one for me.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Beast From 20000 Fathoms (great effects!) and When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth! (And definitely Jurassic Park even if it doesn't count.)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since we're excluding the JP movies (which to me is like asking what is the best Western but you have to exclude John Wayne movies - headscratcher), I'd say the 2005 King Kong movie is the one for me.
I love the JP movies but wanted people to reach for the less obvious. PJ's Kong does have perhaps the greatest dino vs Kong fight ever.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For available films I'd have to go with The Lost World (1925) followed closely by When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1960) (I was fortunate enough to get a copy of that one before it was pulled). Both have excellent dinosaur animations/effects, although the "plot" of When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth is about as substantial as that in One Million Years B.C. (1966). As a kid I saw On Million B.C. (1940) and remember it being pretty good. I'd like to see it receive a DVD or BR release. Caveman (1981) is a guilty pleasure. In the SF/Fantasy arena I'd go for Planeta Bur, from the Soviet Union. It's very good in its original, non Cormanized, version.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For available films I'd have to go with The Lost World (1925) followed closely by When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1960) (I was fortunate enough to get a copy of that one before it was pulled). Both have excellent dinosaur animations/effects, although the "plot" of When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth is about as substantial as that in One Million Years B.C. (1966). As a kid I saw On Million B.C. (1940) and remember it being pretty good. I'd like to see it receive a DVD or BR release. Caveman (1981) is a guilty pleasure. In the SF/Fantasy arena I'd go for Planeta Bur, from the Soviet Union. It's very good in its original, non Cormanized, version.
WDRTE is being released on blu, international version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks