What's new

Your Favorite Dinosaur Movie? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I read about that here on HTF. I'll likely purchase a copy. The DVD I have is also the International cut - which is why it was pulled. The case indicated it was the PG US version and it wasn't. :)
That's interesting. Why wouldn't they have just changed the case labeling, instead? Completely withdrawing WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH (Or any title!) merely due to incorrect labeling seems rather extreme to me!

CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Reptilicus

poster2.jpg

;)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Reptilicus

poster2.jpg

;)
I enjoy REPTILICUS too. Does anyone know if the original Danish version (with the scenes of the monster flying that were cut from the US print ) is available on Blu-ray ? I know the Danish DVD is out of print .
BTW I enjoy every one of the Dinosaur films mentioned here !

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's interesting. Why wouldn't they have just changed the case labeling, instead? Completely withdrawing WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH (Or any title!) merely due to incorrect labeling seems rather extreme to me!

CHEERS! :)
Because it had nudity and you can't subject the sensitive feelings of Americans to that. ;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My favorite, since I was ten...
View attachment 35980
View attachment 35981
View attachment 35982
and the best part...it was in 3-D!
View attachment 35983

I bought this set in 1956 when it was called "The Animal World." It had a square (with rounded corners) photo on the outer sleeve surrounded by a pink background. I grabbed this photo from an Amazon listing:

514YNQouFwL._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It was re-titled "Prehistoric Animals" shortly thereafter when it was reissued. I bought it about five times because the color kept going pink.

As for the question posted in the OP, there are huge flaws in story and dialog and acting in nearly all the dino movies I most enjoy, but looking beyond those, GWANGI has quite terrific visuals, THE LOST WORLD (1925) and KONG ('33) are undeniably classic even if technically crude in today's cgi world, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, if you survive the so-called dialog, has some beautifully rendered dino footage with some of the creatures demonstrating a Harryhausen-like personality. I also like cheezy 50's stuff like THE LANK UNKNOWN.

If I had to narrow my favorites -- guilty or otherwise -- down to one, I guess I'd have to go with ONE MILLION YEARS, B.C., because the animation is awesome and Raquel is a total babe (but, did women pluck their eyebrows and wear make-up in those days?)...again, though, the language.

Last edited:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I love the Valley of Gwangi, the effects and story are top notch. The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms is great too. I really like The Land That time Forgot, Irwin Allen's The Lost World is really good except for the lizards used as the Dinosaurs.

I liked the Dinos in One Million Years BC more then the movie itself. I prefer the Kong fights and dino action in the original more than in Jackson's remake. The fights were more energetic. I also enjoyed the Land of the Lost, even though I would have preferred a serious movie.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not quite sure if it qualifies, but I loved the Godzilla reboot with Bryan Cranston :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
To start, I think (at least it first came to mind) my favorite is Valley of Gwangi. It's got Ray Harryhausen animating a t-rex (ok, I know it's not a t-rex) being roped by cowboys. Does it get better.?

First saw some of the Harryhausen stuff when I was maybe eight years old, thought it was terrible. The movies were corny and the stop motion crap was awul. Guess I was born a critic. :cool:

Yet it continued into the '80s and beyond with that dreadful "Clash of the Titans".

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
My favorites, entertainment-wise, were the '[FILL IN THE BLANK] THAT TIME FORGOT' epics starring Doug McClure. Rather than dwell on the quality of the dinosaur effects, I looked at them as abstract theatrical representations, similar to what Mary Zimmerman or Julie Taymor do on stage. Plus, I always had a mancrush on Trampas from "The Virginian" TV series.

Other favorites include DINOSAURUS and, if TV is allowed, DINOSAURS from the Jim Henson artists. ("Not the momma!")

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not quite sure if it qualifies, but I loved the Godzilla reboot with Bryan Cranston :D
Yes, the big G is a dinosaur as far as I'm concerned.
First saw some of the Harryhausen stuff when I was maybe eight years old, thought it was terrible. The movies were corny and the stop motion crap was awul. Guess I was born a critic. :cool:
Yet it continued into the '80s and beyond with that dreadful "Clash of the Titans".
I can give you the movies were corny, but the stop motion was crap? You speak heresy sir.

My favorites, entertainment-wise, were the '[FILL IN THE BLANK] THAT TIME FORGOT' epics starring Doug McClure. Rather than dwell on the quality of the dinosaur effects, I looked at them as abstract theatrical representations, similar to what Mary Zimmerman or Julie Taymor do on stage. Plus, I always had a mancrush on Trampas from "The Virginian" TV series.

Other favorites include DINOSAURUS and, if TV is allowed, DINOSAURS from the Jim Henson artists. ("Not the momma!")
The guy in a suit never worked for me like the on stage puppets from the Lion King.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love the Valley of Gwangi, the effects and story are top notch. The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms is great too. I really like The Land That time Forgot, Irwin Allen's The Lost World is really good except for the lizards used as the Dinosaurs.

I liked the Dinos in One Million Years BC more then the movie itself. I prefer the Kong fights and dino action in the original more than in Jackson's remake. The fights were more energetic. I also enjoyed the Land of the Lost, even though I would have preferred a serious movie.
I don't know what is dislike more, lizards as dinos or the man in the suit. After all the success of Godzilla, I know I'm in the minority.

I like and would rather watch the Godzilla with Mathew Broderick than any man-in-a-suit Godzilla. I'm just not good at getting the camp of these movies.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what is dislike more, lizards as dinos or the man in the suit. After all the success of Godzilla, I know I'm in the minority.

I like and would rather watch the Godzilla with Mathew Broderick than any man-in-a-suit Godzilla. I'm just not good at getting the camp of these movies.
Only saw the Matthew Broderick version once. It was so bad, I never tried again.

I'm very tolerant of bad stories and cheesy special effects (try any Aaron Eckhart film) but this one just went overboard.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
"Caveman" had the funniest stop-action rendered T-REX ever depicted in the movies! ("You will believe a dino is stoned!")

Disney's "Dinosaur" (2000) gets a nod just due to the sheer number of Dino's up on the screen rendered fairly well with (then) primitive CGI.
If only the entire movie was as good as the first five minutes!

The best non-Jurrasic Park depiction of dinos remains the "Walking With Dinosaurs" TV series (*not* the movie!). But I guess based on the criteria that doesn't count.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I once tracked down the musical theme song from the Last Dinosaur and downloaded it from YouTube for my song collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks