What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If they ever bring back the the 3 for $100 offer, I'm sure a few of us here could pitch in on the purchase.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
If they ever bring back the the 3 for $100 offer, I'm sure a few of us here could pitch in on the purchase.
I somehow doubt that offer is coming back... If it was $35, I'd probably buy it without hesitation, but I already have some flashbenders with the softbox covers, so I just don't think the Fstopper modifier will yield a whole lot more benefit for me, but if I had no compact modifiers, I'd more inclined to give one a shot.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This wasn't really on my radar, but I wound up springing for a Peak Design Capture to go with my Think Tank belt. I've been using a Skin Chimp bag as a holster for a second camera, with the main camera on a sling strap, but found accessing the second body a bit cumbersome. I have a double sling strap as another option to try, but I have a feeling I'll prefer having something less prone to movement for my left side.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I went ahead and ordered a Canon EF-M 18-55mm IS lens for my Canon EOS M mirrorless camera, to go with the EF-M 22mm f/2 lens that came with it. That combo, along with the small Canon Speedlite 270EX that I already owned, should be all I will need with this small camera. I thought about adding the adapter to allow the use of my other Canon lenses, but I just cannot envision using them with this small body. Anyway, B&H Photo had a "white box" version of the lens that had been removed from the kits for $109, which is less than half the price for buying a standalone version

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wish the EFM 11-22mm lens was as cheap as the kit EFM 18-55mm lens...

Dammit, I think I'll be ordering that EFM 18-55mm lens too...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick, yes the EF-M 11-22mm is interesting, but there is no way I am spending $500 for one. I do not shoot a lot of ultra wide angle, so it would be a special purpose lens in my case, and I already have an excellent UWA solution when I need it with the 5D3 + 16-35 f/4L IS. At a little over $100, though, the 18-55 IS is quite a bargain, and it's only 2.4 inches long (about twice as long as the 22mm pancake).

While great for indoor people photos, the 22mm pancake was too limiting for my outdoor landscapes, as I tend to shoot a lot in the 30mm - 60mm range (35mm equivalent) for landscapes. The 22mm pancake acts like a 35mm lens on the EOS M, so I needed a little more reach. This two lens combo should give me a versatile, light weight portable kit for those times I want to travel really light -- a fast prime for indoor low light, and a general purpose zoom for outdoor walk around.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ebay, from foreign sellers, the EFM 11-22mm can be had for around $370, but still too rich for me. I'd just slap on my old EF 17-40 if I need the wide angle shot, but still would be nice to have a compact solution at times.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn't check Ebay, so that $500 price was from other sources that were importing the lens. I agree that $370 is still more than I would want to spend, too.

The 17-40L wouldn't be much wider than the 18-55 kit lens. I thought about my 16-35L instead of the 18-55 kit lens, but that would be a lot bigger and wouldn't fit in a pocket, so it defeats the main purpose of me owning the M. Plus, the kit lens is only about $60 more than the adapter.

Another UWA option would be the EF to EF-M lens adapter and the new EFS 10-18mm IS lens. The lens is around $300, along with $50 for the adapter. At least that lens could be used on other Canon crop bodies, unlike the EF-M lenses.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 17-40mm (and 16-35mm) on a FF body is close in field of view to the EFM 11-22mm on a crop body, so it's similar in that respect. I don't really like using the EF to EFM adapter to slap on other EF lenses, so I rarely do so, just too awkward to shoot with if the lens is really long. Heh.

For what I shoot, I doubt I'll ever pick up a crop-body dSLR, so the EFS line is rarely on my radar anymore.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm considering taking JUST my Olympus XZ-1 on my next trip to SE Asia. Last time I hauled my standard kit of 7D, 17-55mm, 85mm and strobe along with the Olympus and by the end of the trip I was mostly just shooting with the Olympus.

My wife does have a T3i, but it's hard to hold with the 17-55 attached, so if I add a battery grip I may as well just bring the 7D.

Part of me is a little nervous limiting things to the Olympus, but think it could be a good thing too in the "less is more" vein.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
The 17-40mm (and 16-35mm) on a FF body is close in field of view to the EFM 11-22mm on a crop body, so it's similar in that respect. I don't really like using the EF to EFM adapter to slap on other EF lenses, so I rarely do so, just too awkward to shoot with if the lens is really long. Heh.

For what I shoot, I doubt I'll ever pick up a crop-body dSLR, so the EFS line is rarely on my radar anymore.
Patrick,

I thought you meant you'd put the 17-40L on the EOS M, so I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, we have similar thoughts there - I would just use my 16-35L on my 5D3 for ultra wide angle, as you would the 17-40L on your full frame body. From what I have read, the EF-M 11-22mm is supposed to be a very high quality lens, but I just cannot see spending that kind of money for a specialty lens that will only work with the M and not my other bodies when I have another solution. I guess if I shot more wide angle I may think differently.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cameron Yee said:
I'm considering taking JUST my Olympus XZ-1 on my next trip to SE Asia. Last time I hauled my standard kit of 7D, 17-55mm, 85mm and strobe along with the Olympus and by the end of the trip I was mostly just shooting with the Olympus.

My wife does have a T3i, but it's hard to hold with the 17-55 attached, so if I add a battery grip I may as well just bring the 7D.

Part of me is a little nervous limiting things to the Olympus, but think it could be a good thing too in the "less is more" vein.
Cameron,

For our next Myrtle Beach trip in February, I may do the same thing and only take the EOS M. When we go in April, though, we usually visit Huntington Beach State Park, which is a great place for shooting birds. So I will be taking my bigger cameras and lenses then.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A friend had the EFM 11-22mm lens to go along with his EOS M, and he enjoyed shooting it, but ended up selling off the whole kit and kaboodle (he regularly switches out of camera systems wholesale, and rarely loses money from it, somehow).

I'd only spend up to maybe $135-$150 for the EFM 11-22mm lens, maybe one day I'll stumble upon a deal...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The EF-M 18-55mm arrived yesterday. I only had a chance to try it out briefly last night. However, I am impressed with how well built the lens is for the money -- metal mount, solid barrel, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks