What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If I didn't have 3 primes already, I might consider that Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 MK2 lens a little more, even with the hefty price tag... I always hate giving that lens back to the rental place after Dragon Con year after year...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick, I read a tip regarding improving auto focus with the EOS M on POTN. Someone suggested using Servo AF along with face detection to improve AF. I plan on trying it out - - my camera should arrive on Monday. The released specs on the 7D2 do not excite me. The auto focus system looks good, but it appears to use the sensor from the existing 70D. I doubt that I'll upgrade from my 7D, as that camera gets used very little now - - just for wildlife when I take two bodies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I probably won't upgrade the 7D either, unless the low light performance shows a marked improvement.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I took this set of photos at Dragon Con 2014 a few weeks ago with the EOS M. Like I said, it's usable, but shooting one-handed makes it a little more interesting (I'm holding my flash with my left hand) in night-time situations.... :) I think I don't use AI-Servo and Face recognition mainly to conserve battery life, but I could give it a try at AWA in 2 weeks from now. https://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/sets/72157647112533737/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Those shots look pretty good, Patrick. I plan on using the camera mostly in natural light, and occasionally with the compact Speedlite 270EX on camera when I need supplemental light indoors.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I broke down a few weeks ago and got a used Sigma 50-150 2.8. The current version. It's obvious there is a new one coming out, but who knows when it will actually appear and if history is any sign, it'll be almost impossible to get for the first six months. So, that's why I went used, since KEH had one Like New Minus for a good price.

Yesterday I also ordered a used Nikon 85mm 1.8 from them in the same condition.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's one of the first shots with the 50-150, taken at a nature area about a mile down the street.

_DSC2409b_tone.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My only GAS at this point is the Nikon D300 replacement, but so far Nikon hasnt seen fit to share that with the world... The new d750 looks pretty baller for those of you who have held out on Full Frame so far tho!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The D750 sounds great if you want to do video as well as stills, but it would take the D810 to get me to full frame.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I rarely print smaller than 16x24. My default size is 20x30.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've done a couple 18x36 triptychs from single shots, and a 14x44 panorama, but that one was a multiple exposure pano shot with the camera aligned vertically, so I actually had to reduce the image to get it to 14x44. I've been looking for good subjects to do the same thing for a 30x60 or 36x72 triptych for the front office area at work.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sam,

16x20 isn't that big though. What would you print at that size you wouldn't be just as well off at say 1/2 that size? Seems like mainly for portrait stuff and maybe some bird shots (which essentially look like portrait-type) perhaps at those sizes, not landscapes, which is John's main thing, no?

Even for action sports, if you're getting close-ups w/ a long lens, the presentation doesn't have to be that large... unless perhaps you have a seriously great shot that you might want to enlarge to poster size...

For myself, I rarely bother to print. IF I actually want something enlarged (beyond say 8x10), I'd probably easily want larger than 16x20 me thinks...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Exactly. The stuff I'm shooting, except maybe the plant/macro stuff, really benefits from being big.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have printed some 20x16 landscapes to fit some wall space in our hallway, as anything bigger doesn't work in the space. Since it's a closer viewing distance, the size works. Where I have the space, though, my prints are either 30x20 or 36x24.

My Canon EOS M arrived yesterday. I only had a little time to try it out, but I am impressed with the image quality, even at ISO 3200. I knew the camera was small, but until I had it in my hands I didn't realize just how small. It should be a very nice compact camera solution. The ergonomics will take some getting used to, though, compared to using a higher end dSLR with all sorts of controls. I am used to almost never needing to take my eye away from the viewfinder while shooting, plus I have never been a fan of composing images using the back LCD screen unless I am using a tripod. I will get used to it, though, and the compact "pocketable" size makes the ergonomics an acceptable compromise.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The incoming info about the 7D II is intriguing but not compelling, so I have no high motivation to upgrade right now.

I read a DP Review opinion about the APS-C equivalents of 70-200 zooms (thus, ~50-150mm) and their advantages for functionality, weight and size. Indeed, those are the main reasons I have used my 70-200 so infrequently, tending to favor the 85mm prime instead. Unfortunately, Canon doesn't have EF-S lenses in that 50-150 range with 2.8 apertures, so I may see what's available with third party lens makers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sigma has a great one, the only one, in fact, but it is currently discontinued as they upgrade to the new "Sport" model. I have it. The image quality and build are excellent, but it is one big mother for a crop lens. The same size as the average 70-200 2.8.

I got it recently and went used (KEH) since I knew an update would be coming. I was on the fence for a while, but decided that once the new model came out, it would probably be impossible to get for the first six months, plus however long it takes for it to actually come out.

EDIT, sorry, I didn't realize I was completely repeating myself here until I scrolled back to my post a couple weeks ago.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don't want stabilization or a tripod mount, you might look into one of the previous Sigma 50-150s, which are much smaller. I definitely wanted the tripod mount.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, the new, high end Sigmas can be calibrated by the user. That would be the not-yet-released 50-150. Of course, I have three Sigma lenses now, the current 30mm 1.4 and 18-35 1.8, and the less current 50-150, and no focus problems on any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks