What's new

Your all time favorite guitar solo is?? (1 Viewer)

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
I like so many, but if there is one I'd put up for serious discussion, it would be Hendrixs' "All Along The Watch Tower"....nothing like it since and a beautifully composed piece of music!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

Black Magic Woman. Carlos Santana.

Thrill is Gone BB King

Setzer's Stray Cats stuff
Also, maybe the absolute best showboating in history. Just gives me chills but at about the 4 minute place...just wooow! :rock: Of course, the Clapton original worked better for the overall song. Prince takes over the song here.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My favourite, Frank Zappa: Watermelon on Easter Hay from "Joe's Garage". Might be the most soulful thing he ever did. Studio is definitive (Starts at about 1:20 after the Central Scruitenizer intro. The whole album is work a revisit these days...)

I really like this live one though when he goes off on an improv:

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Al di Meola -

This guy just writes/performs some amazing guitar parts - and integrates them with keyboard, bass and drums.

The entire song is not really a solo - but the guitar parts are great...

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Wow, tough question ...
Of course there are the classics, like Comfortably Numb, Sultans of Swing, Stairway To Heaven (surprisingly enough not mentioned yet), and also the Stones have a few, also not yet mentioned, like Sympathy For The Devil, or Midnight Rambler, but I'm glad to see the Edge get a mention, I find him an outstanding player, with a completely personal style.
Sometimes similar to him, I'd put forward David Byrne, who did some good guitar work, especially on the legendary Remain In Light.
And then, there is of course Prince at the George Harrison show, doing to While My guitar what hadn't been done before.

And then I haven't even mentioned Mick Ronson, Earl Slick, Wilko Johnson or even all the other solos Page did ...

So, there are so many, so good, it is impossible to choose.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Queen - Save Me (Official Video) - YouTube

First choice: Brian May's brief but incredibly emotional solo at the 3 minute mark before the final chorus. His work on this sounds like the guitar is emotionally wrecked! It never fails to bring chills (and tears) every time I hear it.

(Oh, and he's got a TON of incredible solos but this is my favorite!)

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello trading off solos in the live version of The Ghost of Tom Joad (from the Magic Tour Highlights EP). Watching the band's reaction to Morello's final solo in the video is classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks