What's new

You Know You’re Getting Old When... (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Watching 24 hours news channels such as CNN, BBC, Fox, etc ..., is more "exciting" than watching any scripted tv shows and movies.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Understanding why listening/watching first-time live events (whether offline or online) is intoxicating with anticipation, while the second time or reruns falls flat.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
True story:

I was talking movies with a couple of guys in their 20s when they brought up Straw Dogs and both said how much they liked the film. I said I thought it might be Dustin Hoffman's best performance. They both looked at me oddly until one of them piped up with, "Dustin Hoffman wasn't in Straw Dogs". It was then I realized with horror that they were talking about the 2011 remake with James Marsden, not the 1971 Peckinpah film. I said, "Hoffman was in the original film version" to which they were astounded, "I didn't know it was a remake!".

It was then I felt about as old as Methuselah!
I had the something similar happen with The Little Rascals ...
1611676742336.png

:(
At least they didn't cite the godawful 2014 remake! :lol:

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:
  • Agreed

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Watching videogame playthroughs/speedruns videos on youtube is more exciting/entertaining, than playing any actual video games.

• Insightful

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Reading 1000 pages video game player guide books, is more interesting and entertaining than playing the actual video game itself.

• Agreed

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Reading the original novels and tie-in books of tv episode/movie novelizations, is more engaging and entertaining than watching the actual movies or tv shows.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Reading the instruction books of board games and/or reading the hardcover rulebooks of tabletop rpg games, is more interesting and entertaining than actually playing any of the boardgames or rpg games.

Similarly, playing chess against a computer is more entertaining than playing chess against a real person.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A weird recent case of this, was digging up an old book titled "Data Smog" by David Shenk from 1997. (I read this back when it was first published).

On a recent re-read of this 1997 book, it could have been written today with every assertion on steroids and even more extreme.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Reading current paper magazine articles in a particular niche, is less informative and/or more "cheerleading" than reading internet message boards dedicated to the same particular niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks