What's new

You Know You’re Getting Old When... (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of course I know and understand everything presented here. I chose not to elaborate as you have in deference to our "No Politics" policy.
I wouldn't have posted it if I thought it was political. However, the mods are free to delete it if they think it has violated that rule here.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Fred Astaire dancing on the ceiling in "Royal Wedding". My parents took me to the movie theater. I'm guessing I wet my diaper seeing that, but I still remember, if only the one scene. Next movie memory is "King Kong" on television, possibly Los Angeles station KHJ 9. Years later though. Not sure of the station.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That Challenger incident- that was a weird day. I couldn’t go to work due to a car problem, so I actually watched the incident live (I’m pretty sure it was a live broadcast).
The network canceled their programming for the afternoon, and stayed on that story.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That Challenger incident- that was a weird day. I couldn’t go to work due to a car problem, so I actually watched the incident live (I’m pretty sure it was a live broadcast).
The network canceled their programming for the afternoon, and stayed on that story.
I was at work that day, an office job. I usually had a radio on my office tuned to NPR. I walked into my office and just from the tone of his voice knew something was wrong. I heard “Challanger” and stepped out and called to some friends, “In my office now. Something’s happened to the Shuttle.” What a shock to the system.

Yeah, I think the tv would have been a live broadcast.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I worked in TV at the time and had gone back to Engineering while the launch was going on to adjust a camera for a commercial we were producing. I'd watched every launch I could up to that point, from Mercury to the Shuttle, so I stopped to watch. I couldn't believe what I saw going out live to the nation. And they replayed it several times over the next few minutes (ABC). It was heartbreaking...

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I worked nights back then. I generally got home by 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning, watched TV shows I taped (yes, taped!) the previous evening, and went to bed mid-to-late afternoon. Since I'd taped something off one of the broadcast nets, the VCR was set to that station. I finished watching whatever it was I had on tape and hit the stop button, the VCR shifted to broadcast, and about a minute later, the network news broke in with the Challenger story. I was up the rest of the day, into the evening, and I didn't get any sleep before going back to work that night.

9/11 was also weird. I worked days then (different company), and Tuesday was normally a day off for me, but I was scheduled to work some OT, starting at 10am. My alarm clock went off to radio, but the attacks hadn't happened yet. I got showered and dressed, into the car, and drove to work. I didn't have the car radio on during the drive (I tended to sing to myself while driving). Got to work, and the parking lot was vacant. Walked into the building and up to my company's floor. Nobody was around. Walked into the Network Ops room where my desk was, and my boss and one of my colleagues were looking at his workstation. I asked, "What's up? This place is a ghost town!" "You don't know?!" I walked to see what was on John's workstation, and my jaw hit the floor.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
9/11 was also weird. I worked days then (different company), and Tuesday was normally a day off for me, but I was scheduled to work some OT, starting at 10am. My alarm clock went off to radio, but the attacks hadn't happened yet. I got showered and dressed, into the car, and drove to work. I didn't have the car radio on during the drive (I tended to sing to myself while driving). Got to work, and the parking lot was vacant. Walked into the building and up to my company's floor. Nobody was around. Walked into the Network Ops room where my desk was, and my boss and one of my colleagues were looking at his workstation. I asked, "What's up? This place is a ghost town!" "You don't know?!" I walked to see what was on John's workstation, and my jaw hit the floor.

I said it in another thread (didn't know if you saw): I have a set of old Hawaiian newspapers (the Honolulu Star-Bulletin) from some of the days after 9/11; I think they span from two days after (Thursday) to the next Monday (and also, there are some afternoon editions in too [which the Star-Bulletin called their "Night Final"], back when papers still did afternoon editions [this is not done anymore, though, so there's some history in that as well]).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here is that L.A. Times of the day after the Challenger disaster (first the front w/banner headline, then the Calendar section [Part VI] w/feature story):

latimeschallenger1.jpg

latimeschallenger2.jpg

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Somehow nobody ever got around to making a remake of Birth Of A Nation. Maybe some bored producer would like to try that remake. Maybe with sound and in color this time.
I'm waiting for a remake of "Check and Double Check."

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Bumping this up-- that is something that deserved the network/cable news coverage staying on it (9/11 did too, because both were tragedies); these days, networks and cable channels will stay on anything they think deserves it, even when it really doesn't (like Anna Nicole Smith, Jon-Benet Ramsey, Tiger Woods, and even this Alec Baldwin gun incident).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure I have posted this before, but at the time of Challenger, I was working 2nd shift (3:00 -11:00 PM). I'd usually try to get out of bed by 10 or 11 the next morning. I put on some coffee and turned the television set on and wondered why Dan Rather was on the air. (???) Simply could not believe what I was seeing. Incredibly sad and heartbreaking.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks