What's new

You Can be Beautiful Too, Just Use... (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's an interesting sales pitch. I agree 100% with the sentiments (I personally find over-perfect 'beauty' a turn-off, and I prefer brains and personality over looks any time) but I also find the association with a cosmetics product a bit odd.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't find it odd, I think it's smart marketing. Sell to the typical woman who doesn't look like a model, while telling she can be beautiful without meeting such a standard? Makes sense!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Neat! I knew a woman who used to do beauty ads and she had a portfolio of before and after shots and they were just as amazing as that video.

Hmmm, I wonder where the original Dove videos went? I did some Flash compressions for them about a year ago when they launched the site. I loved the concept because they got 5 'average' ladies and built the campagin around them. I love this "Everyday Beauty" thing! SO much better than perpetuating the stereotype that all us guys are only looking for supermodels.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but it could backfire quite easily. If the message is it doesn't matter if you don't conform to a stereotype (something incidentally I support) why should we bother about how we look? Hence, why are we concerned about how we clean our skin? Surely, all cleansing products are also equal?

Just playing Devil's Advocate. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

That's what all the fat guys say.

JUST KIDDING!!! IT'S A JOKE!! I don't know Andrew, or his personal habbits! :)

Seriously, while neat, you have to remember that Dove doesn't give a shit about you, real natural beauty or fake beauty. They care about selling soap, bottom line.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you. It is kind of odd when you think about it. I mean, check out this link:
http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat4.asp?id=6139

They are trying to say that girls have self-esteem problems (due to the fact that beauty commercials create a false sense of 'real beauty'), so what's their solution? They want to send you "DOVE Products" to help????

So what exactly are they saying? You don't need to be concerned with improving your image because you are naturally beautiful, but in order to believe that, you have to use our beautifying products...

????

It's like me saying "Want to get out of massive debt? Just send me $15,000 and I'll tell you how!" ;)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, one thing they're saying is that no amount of beauty products is going to transform you into a beauty and that much of what you see in infomercials and ads is doctored. Kind of like that skit that Carlos Mencia does about Revlon.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Ahh, but you are forgetting the primal female urge to always be buying shit. Dove knows they'll never stop that, so even if it seems (to us) that they are discouraging beauty products, they are really just positioning themselves to get a bigger piece of that very huge "look what I bought today" pie. ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I always took it as saying: Look the best you can; and then realize that your best is good enough. They are saying to girls not to do anything unhealthy or drastic, don't change who you are

I don't mind that as a message.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Of course they'll continue to use attractive models in their ads.

If they were sincere about this they'd hire people like the coal miner's wife from the Amazing Race.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That was the thing about the original campaign. They took "average" women, but they were still pretty damn hot.

Like from the Simpsons:
Studio Exec.: "...he should be TV ugly, not ugly ugly"

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I think I've told this tale on HTF before, but it's worth repeating. A few years ago we had two foreign exchange students working in the department where I was working. One was average looking but with a really nice personality. The other was the most beautiful woman I've ever met - and this was just when she was wearing a baggy top, baggy jeans, and no makeup. Made up and in a short dress she could stop a clock. I know this, because I once went into a crowded pub with her and all conversation stopped when she entered (you know, like that cliche in old movies?). Trouble is, she wasn't all that interesting to talk to and in fact, wasn't particularly pleasant (I don't mean she was rude or bitchy, but it was just dull and depressing spending time with her).

Within a couple of weeks, all the guys in the department were trying to get a date with her 'average' companion because she was fun to be with. We tended to ignore the other one (to the extent that on a couple of occasions one of or other of the unattached males in the dept had to have our arms twisted to take her out on a date). Yes, I know all this sounds improbable, but it's true, and visitors couldn't believe that we weren't all lusting after her.

So the moral, children is: you get used to how someone looks very quickly, but it's personality and brains that last.

And if only fat folks appreciate that, then maybe they are wiser than they are given credit. ;)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If personality and brains last, and I'm not saying they don't, why was everyone taking a turn dating Miss Personality?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
So what happens when they are both great personalitywise? :D

Aside from the joke, I actually dated one of those "walks in a room and conversation stops" women and I hated it (and she had a great personality, too). I'm a pretty average guy and I just couldn't take the pressure. Every time I turned around, other guys were flying slow lazy circles, with nary a flap, looking for her to weaken. They all figured if she would go with me, she'd go with anyone. I broke it off and she never really knew why.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, did you just admit that you broke of with a girlfriend purely out of insecurity? Damn, at least you got some stones...

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The problem when average guys (like us) date "head turning" women, we tend to put up with the little annoyances...I know several women like this (and dated one as well) and the one thing they seemed to have in common was, they were all so used to the attention, that they CRAVED it at all times.

With my ex, when we first started dating, I put up with it because....well, I was horny ;) - as time went on, that horniness fades a little and it was harder and harder to put up with those annoyances. Basically, what you have to do is determine whether you would still be dating this woman if she wasn't so good looking.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No, it wasn't insecurity, she wasn't interested in these guys and I wasn't worried about them stealing her away. It was more like a pain in the ass. I enjoyed her company, but all the goofs who would worship her just caused the bloom to come off the rose, if you will. It was just tiring to have to beat your way through a horde of horny morons every time you left your girl alone for 5 minutes. Plus, many of our work aquaintances did not know we were dating (we kept our personal lives personal) and to hear the crude disgusting things the guys said about her tended to wear on my patience, even after I told them what I felt about their comments.

I guess I'm just a low maintenance kind of guy (although she herself wasn't high maintenance, quite the opposite, but the relationship sure was).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks