What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yeah! (1 Viewer)

AlanF

Auditioning
I just wanted to thank everyone on these boards for all their help with putting my new system together.

So, I finally got it all in and I'm loving it. It's not a complete system but it will soon be. Well... what is it you ask - here's the short list:

Denon 3803
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 x5
Ascend Acoustics CBM-340 (center)
Hsu TN1220 Sub w/250 watt amp

And of course Avia and Radio Shack Level Meter

Those are all the new things I've gotten. I think I'll end up getting the Denon DCM 380 CD changer and the upcoming Denon 2900 DVD, DVD-A & SACD player when it comes out. No, I wasn't planning on an all Denon system but they seem to be at about the peak of Diminishing Returns for Quality, Features, and Sound (at least for me). I've currently got a Toshiba DVD player that's pretty good, but it's first generation and doesn't even have progressive scan. I may soon get a Pioneer Elite 53" TV too. How cool would that be? So, anyway, thanks everyone for all your help!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
May I give you a recommendation. I originally had a DVD changer, CD changer, and CD recorder. In that time, it was easy to see why. The CD changer wouldn't play CD-Rs or CD-RWs. The CD recorder was only a 2 disc model. So if I wanted to play many CD-Rs, I still needed my standalone CD changer.

Now, all the new DVD players are offering compatibility with CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, MP3, and WMA(if it's a Panasonics as my new DVD changer).

Since I now had redundant players being I had a CD-R/RW DVD changer, I finally stashed my Yamaha CD changer in the closet. I use my new Panasonic CV-52 for multiple CD-Rs. It's sound is very good comparing with my Yamaha CD changer and my HK CDR20 CD recorder. I use my CD recorder for single discs and none finalized CD-RWs.

Since you haven't bought anything yet, I'd recommend a DVD changer and forget about a standalone CD changer. Most companies are discontinuing their CD player lines being that DVD changers/players cost little more and offer so much more. Just an idea.

Have a good one.

AlanF

Auditioning
Mike - do you know of any upcoming (or existing) DVD-A & SACD changers? I was hoping to get that in my next DVD player but I haven't seen any in the changer form.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I don't know. I'm not interested in DVD-A because of the bass management problems(not implemented internally in many none flagship players). Not a fan of SACD because discs are mainly stereo only. Later, if these problems are overcome, I'll be more interested.

Sorry couldn't help you on that matter.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I agree w/ Mike that having redundant players doesn't make much sense. I think SACD is awesome, but finding the universal changer isn't easy just yet. You can find some truly universal single players, something that plays dvds, sacds, dvd-as, mp3s, cdrs, etc, but I haven't seen a changer yet. Anyway, i'd love to have any of these:

* The Denon 2900 you mentioned -- Nothing wrong w/ having all Denon. In fact, there might be advantages. And it'd look cool.

* Yamaha dvd-s2300, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDS2300.htm

* Onkyo DV-SP800, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V4g1v5O...p?I=580DVSP800

* Marantz DV-8300
http://www.audiovideophile.net/AVP/M...tz_dv_8300.htm

I bet all these guys'll be making changer versions soon. Maybe worth waiting a little bit for?

Benjamin-Es

Auditioning
I kind of understand Alan. I have the DCM 380 changer and I am looking forward for the DVD 2900. The nice thing of the 380 is that is HDCD enable, which is an uncomon thing in a DVD.

Additionaly, the thing that push me to have different sources is that I would hate to have a SACD/DVD-A and DVD to handle all the music I can throw to them. I think it wiser to "diversify" the load of work to the players, and better to have all regular CD's being played by a cheaper, palayer than by the more expensive universal one. I might be wrong of course, but that is what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks