What's new

yamaha yz80 questions????? (1 Viewer)

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
Im thinking about buying my 14 year old son a yz80 dirt bike. what I wanna know before I look at them (used ones in area) is what kinda top speed and power do they have?...I assume they are fairly fast but want a good idea from someone who has one or ridden them a good bit. Are parts readily available for older ones??....Are they easy to work on etc?...Also what is the maximum rev speed of the engine.....Im assuming its in the 9000-11000 range?? THanks

Kevin

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Hi Kevin,

The YZ80 is an 80cc two-stroke race bike. Maintenance will be higher than on four stroke bikes. Top speed, wide open in 6th gear is probably 60mph or higher. I believe they rev to 12000 rpms or higher, not that that matters at all. With that said, they are great bikes for experienced kids. They have the latest technology, suspension that will take a beating, and are the envy of all kids.

While I've seen many kids start riding on 80cc racers, I wouldn't recommend it. An average 14 year old with some experience should have no problem. What kind of riding will your son be doing, and how much experience does he have? If mostly trails riding, I would recommend the Yamaha TTR125 (or TTR250). It has the same chassis as a YZ80 (suspension, brakes, etc), but has a torquey four-stroke engine that requires much less maintenance.

Also keep in mind, that at 14, your son will grow out of a YZ80 pretty quickly. When I was 14, I had a CR125 (full size, two-stroke racer). Yes, it was a little big for me, but I had about 5 years of riding experience before that.

Edit: Yes, parts are available just about everywhere. I wouldn't go much older than mid-80s, though. At the shop I worked for (2 years ago), we stocked parts for most dirt bikes back to '85.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks