What's new

Yamaha subs? (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I'm putting together a budget dorm stereo system so size is an issue. While looking for a small musical sub I came across the Yamaha YST-SW105. Does anyone have any opinions on this cheap sub?

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I would go over to www.audioreview.com and do some reading. From what I remember, people have rated them pretty low due to boominess, and distortion when turned up.
For budget subs, my favorite are Sonys.
Later

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My friend has the smallest Yamaha subwoofer. For the size and price, it works well.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I think I'll end up with it. I'm not planning to pump it up loud or use it for DD/DTS work. Just music in a dormroom. I'll be pairing it with n24's and a Marantz 2235B receiver.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I think I'll end up with it. I'm not planning to pump it up loud or use it for DD/DTS work. Just music in a dormroom.
My first sub was a small Yamaha (YST-SW80) that I used with my old DPL receiver......I thought it was great! After upgrading to DD though, the Yamaha quickly showed it's weakness.....the dedicated LFE channel in DD/DTS soundtracks was more than it could handle. That was the first time I heard a sub bottom out and all I can tell you is it ain't pretty! :eek:
For your particular application I think it will perform better than the Sony (which has a tendency to sound boomy).
Vin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have had a Yamaha sub for a few years, and I have no complaints about it at all. Very good bang for the buck, IMO, and highly underrated. I try to throw them out there when people ask for budget subs. :emoji_thumbsup: I'd opt for the 205 or 305 if you can stretch your budget a bit.
The Sony is a good sub, but for a little more the Yamaha is a better performer. The Sony is definitely boomy, which is not too bad for movies, but is not great for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks