What's new

Yamaha RXV730 down/up converting? (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, about a year ago I got myself a new Yamaha RXV 730 receiver. Great unit really, but just now I ran into a little problem.

I've been using S-video connectors for everything since I dont have an HDTV and components inputs, but recently I had to hook up a VCR that only has composite output.

This never occured to me before, but it doesn't seem like the reciver will up-convert the composite input to S-video output. This didn't bother me a whole lot since I just used the extra output on the TV to hook up the VCR.

Since then though, Ive tried using a composite output to the TV, and S-video inputs from my sources, but it doesn't seem like the receiver will down-covert the sigansl either.

Again, now a big thing, but If I ever use component outputs for a new TV, and some sources only have S-video outputs, I would assume it wouldn't up-convert those either? I guess that means I may have to go out and get another receiver.. I really though this one would be the one to stick for a while.

Any ideas if there is a setting or something to allow this conversion? I guess I could just buy a modulator or use other inputs on the TV... oh well.

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Radio shack sells a composite to s-video connector for $20; alot cheaper than buying a new reciever.:)

BTW I just purchased this reciever last week but haven't hooked it up yet. I noticed this conversion problem after but was okay when I found this adapter. I got it for $320, was this a good deal? I thought it was...

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I got mine a year ago, and it cost me $700 Canadian, which is about $550US.

Considering it's a last years model, I think that's a pretty good deal. I will be probably hooking up an amp to power the Studio 60 or Monitor 11's.. whichever I decide on.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Jack, when I do an install, I always conntect the AVR by every available video connection on it. If it does not have component, those devices have to run directly to the HDTV....

I tell owners, to switch the AVR then cycle through the AV inputs on the HDTV untill they see what they want to see.

Seems to be ok for most owners so far.

The days of one button switching are comming to a close fast, with HDTV comming on strong. You can fight it, but in the end, your going to have to accept it, and deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks