What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yamaha RXV1400 or Denon 2803 (1 Viewer)

Tom Boz

Auditioning
Can't decide between the Yamaha RXV1400($1200CDN) and the Denon 2803 ($1100CDN). Most of the features are the same but the Yammy will up-convert any video input to component. Any help or experience out there? It would be greatly appreciated :b

728x90

PeterG

Agent
Tom Boz,

I have the Denon 2803 (a week old) and I am very happy with it but I have an upgrade itch (to the 3803 but not for the S-Video etc "upconversion") - more for the sake of spending more.

That said, I do not see any value at all in the video upconversion unless you are really in a bind. All my video sources go directly to my scaler (an Iscan Pro) and then directly to the TV. No enhancement can occur in the situation of routing through the receiver and all that occurs is video degradation. It will definitely be noticeable if one has a reasonably good eye and a display of good resolution. If you value convenience over image quality then that is the way to go but to me that scenario is designed for those who are not critical about their image.

Peter

Edit: I feel I have to clarify why I feel going through the receiver is going to be not upgrading but actual downgrading. Composite most definitely and S-Video to a much lesser extent are inferior delivery formats of a video signal than component. To do high quality conversion - and it will still be imperfect obviously - costs several hundred dollars. In a $400 to $600 receiver the quality of the "upconversion" is going to be #50 or so on the list of important items. I doubt it will be very high quality. I would believe that assuming that one has a high quality comb filter in your display device that it will be far far superior to that in the receiver. A high quality 3D comb filter is not cheap and it would be much superior to that in the receivers we are talking about.

dannyG

Agent
Tom, you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this. So here is mine. I had the 2803 before I replaced it with the rxv1400. Both receivers are very good. With my Rocket speaker setup (550/200/150)the 1400 sounded better. It had more power to spare than the 2803. The sound from the 1400 was much fuller and offered a better low end punch with music. As far as ht goes they were very similar. If you can listen to them side by side like I did you can let your ears be the judge.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks