What's new

I'm giving in... I need YOUR help in making the right choice! (1 Viewer)

ColbyTrio

Grip
Well I just purchased my first house with my fiancé and our twin boys. Since the excitement was still in the air, I thought that I would pop the big question… “Can I get a new TV and a surround sound system?” And just as I planned, she was fine with it, with one exception: The TV and components have to be silver.

Now that I am able to make this big purchase I am having one heck of a time deciding on the best receiver within my budget (no more then $500). I have looked at just about every A/V website and visited a few stores to help me decide and this is what I came up with:

Denon AVR-2803 (Silver)
Onkyo TX-SR601 (Silver)
Harman/Kardon AVR 230, 630 (Silver)
Yamaha RXV1400 (Black)

I’ll be running a 5.1 system at first. I haven’t purchased my sub and center channel yet. I did purchase my Front and Surround speakers. They are all four 8” Cambridge In-Walls (I know some of you might knock these speakers…but for $200 a pair they sound AWESOME!).

I would also like to have all of my components switched at my receiver. This brings me to my first question.

What is the lowest component switching speed (MHz) to where I wouldn’t notice a drop in HD picture quality?

The only reason I would go with the HK 630 is because the 230 only supports 30Mhz components switching. The 630 bumps up the strength to 50Mhz. Will I notice the difference on my new 57” Sony HDTV?

Speaking of HK’s, Is the dreaded HK “audio drop off” present in the 230? And how noticeable is it in the 630? Noticeable enough to not purchase the unit?

I know just about every feature (and lack of) on the listed receivers but I just can’t make up my mind. So help me out here guys!

Thanks in advance!

Colby

David Judah

Screenwriter

HD has info up to ~33.75 MHz, but as discussed in other threads, it would be nice to have a little breathing room. However, because of the limitations of broadcast HD and even some displays, it might not be as critical to have an overly high number--you just have to try it out and leave yourself an option to exchange if you notice some degradation with a particular unit.

I don't know about the HK or the Onkyo(the Denon 2803 doesn't do it), but the Yamaha 1400 has upconversion, so you can run any type of video into it and have a single component out to the display; it makes it much easier if you want to switch video through the receiver.

Good luck,

DJ

ColbyTrio

Grip
Component switching aside... what do you think the better sounding receiver is?

By the way...I was also looking at the Sony 895. Was I correct in ruling this out?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Only you can decide what the best sounding receiver is for you--we all have different preferences, but from your list I would choose the Yamaha 1400.

From my experience, the Sony receivers don't start sounding as good compared to others in their price range until the ES series, but again that is just my preference.

Go listen to 'em all and make sure the one you choose has all the features you are going to use in your particular set-up.

DJ

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Colby,

I say that you check them all out by auditioning them. Only you can decide what would sound best for you. On your list, I would recommend the Denon. I've owned Yamahas too but I liked the sound of Denons better. For some reason, the Yamaha sound tinny to me though their line is excellent. Again, let your ears decide. Anyway, best of luck in your endeavors.

ColbyTrio

Grip
And by the way, the Onkyo and Denon are tied at first...the HK 230/630 is at a STRONG second.

Anyone else?

ZachT

Auditioning
Go buy a v1400. You will be happy. I took back denon and got the v1400. Sounds 1000 times better. I think you pay for the name when you buy denon. Ty

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I will also put in a vote for the 1400. I love mine. But if you need silver, then the HK would be my next choice.

Man I wish my wife would let me do that RIGHT after buying a house. I have trouble letting her let me get a new dvd player and we have owned the house for 3-4 months.

ColbyTrio

Grip
Do any of you know where to find a cheap silver Denon 2803 and Onkyo 601?

And yes, I got lucky... Of course its for the "both of us" :D

ColbyTrio

Grip
Thanks for all of the help guys...

Right now I'm trying to balance the look, sound, and price of a good quality receiver and I have to admit, it's not an easy task.

Let me tell you where I stand:

Denon 2803S - It's a great looking and sounding reciever. However, it's a bit pricey at $649. That's the cheapest any authorized dealer will go. If I could get it for $500 I would. No question.

Onkyo 601S - This receiver sounds pretty good. And at $399 it's a steal of a deal. But I'm not too happy with the look of this receiver. It's a bit to "blah".

HK 430 - I LOVE the look of this receiver. But the price is also keeping me away from this unit. I haven't found it for under $500. ANd the audio signal drop off shouldn't be there if I'm spending that kind of cash on a piece of equipment.

Sony 895 - This reciver has a GREAT price tag at $300. However it doesn't sound all too hot. And I have a feeling it will struggle pushing my Cambridge 82's (8").

John S

Senior HTF Member
I vote for the Denon myself. You really want at leats 50mhz on the Component Video, apparently I have switched it through a 30mhz or so rated AVR and didn't know it, and did not notice any degrading of the signal. I always switch them too to make sure or this, when ever I go through external video switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks