Too many choices

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom Boz, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Tom Boz

Tom Boz Auditioning

I'm looking to purchase my first HT. Looking for a receiver first then speakers. I have my eye on the Yamaha RXV1400, Denon 2803, HK AVR325 and I am overwhelmed by the many others available in the $1000-1200CDN price range. Please tell me what others I should be listening to and what your opinions are on the ones mentioned above or suggested.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I just saw some new specs of the new Yamaha systems, and there amps once again seem to be very weak which is poor for the price of the reciever.

The Denon and Harman/Kardon are both good systems though, I would look at those two over the Yamaha personally.

I like the HK AVR-325 because it has the Zone2 so if you only want a 5.1 system in one room then a 2 speaker system in another room you can do it and control it all one that one reciever.. You can have something like a DVD playing in your main theater while your wife could have a CD playing in the other room.

Good luck on yuor decision.

3. Jason_Paik

Jason_Paik Extra

Tom I'm going through the same process. The choices are many, but two things helping me...which may help you: what receiver do you have your "ear on"; think about a % mix of listening you'll be doing --like the audio soundtracks of DVDs in a HT evening and the listening to CDs and other audio sources. Some receivers are more "musical" than others; some have more bells and whistles for HT than others. At the end of the day, take a couple your favorite CDs and a fav DVD or two to a shop and have a listen. Then you can narrow down some choices and be guided by your budget.

My $0.02

J.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Remember, for the most part you are going to get personal opinions. I personally like the Yamaha better than HK and Denon. These are all good receivers at this price point, IMO. The best receiver is the one that sounds the best to you and offers the most features you want.

5. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

absolutely...

all good choices. everyone has their own opinion, and/or biases...

for what its worth, i owned a marantz 5200, and recently picked up a Harmon Kardon 330.

i was very happy with my marantz, i am very happy with my new HK. the best advice you can get is to demo...

the brands you chose, or are looking at; are great!

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd do it the other way around Tom. Pick the speakers you like then find an amp with the feature set and power needed to drive them.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chu has sound advice. First find the speakers you like then find the amp that can 1)drive them and 2)has the features you want and lastly sounds like you like it.

8. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

you should be able to pick up the AVR 525 for that price range