What's new

Yamaha RX-V630 connections? (1 Viewer)

Mirko

Agent
I have been posting on the beginning questions sections but I'm getting smarter so I'll post my new question here ;)

I have a Hitachi DVD player hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V630. It is hooked up with the 3 wire component video which works out well. I had it hooked up with two wire audio, red and white, which I gues gives me only stereo audio or a make believe sorround experience. I want discreet 5.1 audio which is what I am shooting for. Someone pointed out to me on another thread that I needed to change my audio hookup and that is what I am trying to do.

The Yamaha manual says I should hookup my DVD audio via an optical cable, yet my Hitachi DVD player does not have optical output. There is a coaxial audio input on the back of the Yamaha but it "seems" (to me) to be for a separate CD player.

Can I hookup my Hitachi DVD player to this coax audio and have it work and give me true 5.1 sound. Are some of these inputs "earmarked" for only some devices, like a cd?

I hate to have to buy another DVD player just to get optical video output but I'll do it if I have to. The Hitachi DVD is only a couple of days old.

Thanks,

Mirko

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Mirko,

Sure, you can accomplish this. As you note, the RX-V630 provides 4 optical audio inputs and one coaxial digital audio input.

Most rcvrs allow multiuse on one coax input by a process called "assignable" inputs. The users manual will detail the choices.

One scrolls thru the rcvr set-up (via the remote) to the I/O) [input/output] selection. Here, go to the COAXIAL INPUT menu and see if it offers DVD as a choice. Select DVD.
(My 3-yr old Yamaha offers CD and CBL/SAT here, but I use optical from my DVDp).

Re another DVDp, I realize that you are setting up new, however in the long run you may prefer the solid digital connection called DVI from DVDp to the plasma (providing the monitor has that DVI input connection). Only 3 DVI capable DVDp are currently out there. More models ought to be hitting the market later this year.

When playing a DVD disk, merely select DVD using the rcvr's faceplate INPUT MODE selector button. If you find you have to select some other assignment, say CBL/SAT, it wont hurt to use this. The signal/s the same passing thru, just coming out with a different "name." And sorta confusing for others.

How's your search coming for a SUB?

Mirko

Agent
Thanks for your quick reply. I'll read it 4 or 5 times before I holler back. I'm thinking of giving up on this stuff and just going back to my old Zenith 19 B&W and a table-top radio. Now _that_ was user friendly.

I have pretty much settled on the small HSU box sub. They are around the corner from my office so that makes it easy. I think sooner or later they'll have som B units. If not I'll just buy an A and save the shipping/postage just the same.

I have to go into the attic and run wire to my sorrounds which won't be pleasant. I just had the attic re-insulated with a thick blanket of cellulose so you can't see any landmarks. Figure I'll carry a broom. Actually my JBL's are giving me pretty good bass right now but I still want a sub. It's a boy thing.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Most people say that Digital Coax is better than Optical so yeah go for it. I use Digital Coax on all my stuff and I love it. Not to mention the cables are cheaper too.

Mirko

Agent
so what are the specs on digital coax and how does it differ from straight RCA cable, which in my view, it resembles. I hate to go to Radio Shack and have to pay thru the nose for something I don't need. I know I only need one cable instead of a pair.

Thanks,

Mirko

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
this uses a SPDIF coax cable designed for 75ohm.

This same standard applies to video cables, so in a pinch a yellow-band RCA can be used. But these usually are of lesser shielding.

Using standard RCA analog or 50ohm cables here can often result in audio sound dropouts for DVD, and are not advised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks