What's new

Setting up an HT that pulls from everywhere (1 Viewer)

Gregg*Bu

Auditioning
Just moved into some new digs and would like to set up a 3.1 system that can stream (HD and "regular") from anything my PC can dish out (probably via Windows Media Center - I can upgrade to Windows 7 for this). Whether it's some reality show off the network web site or a video from some site I've never heard of, I'd rather watch it on my spiffy new TV that I have yet to decide on. Of course, I'd like to pause it from my couch with a remote so I can go get some popcorn. I can do wired networking if I have too, but would prefer 802.11n. I have to buy a wireless router anyway.

It would be very nice if I could use my current (non HD) tuner, a Yamaha RX-V630. No HD audio decoder (I expect) but I only need 3.1. I'll need to purchase a center speaker and sub in addition to my TV and probably a Blu Ray Player, either for my PC or a stand alone for the living room.

I'd also like get Direct TV (I'm limited to Direct TV or broadcast - and get great reception - but I'd like to get all the extra channels). It would be nice to record to my PC instead of a seperate VR component. It would be really cool to connect my PC to Direct TV, serve it up to my TV and be able to control it all from my couch.

I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The PC / satellite discussion has been around since the little dishes hit the market and there still isn't a piece of equipment on the market. There is a way to watch recorded material from a DirecTV DVR on your PC.

For internet and digital files, look at a networkable media player. Every one of the big names have one. Western Digital, D-Link, Linksys,etc. But one of the most popular models here is the Popcorn Hour Media Tank.

If you were wanting to limit the pieces of equipment to make operating it simple, then look at the Harmony remotes.

Congratulations on one post in 5 years.

Gregg*Bu

Auditioning
Thanks Robert. I have heard very good things about the Popcorn Hour Media Tank. However, I think I need to build an HTPC. But I'm still researching.

Originally Posted by Robert_J

Congratulations on one post in 5 years.
Thanks. :) I must have originally signed up when I was looking for a new TV - ended up getting a nonHD CRT to get me by until the tech improved and the prices dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks