What's new

Yamaha RX-V596 Bass extension question (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yamaha RX-V596 receiver powering Paradigm Monitor speakers.

One of the audio specifications for the receiver says:

Bass Extension +6dB (60Hz)

What does this mean? Does this mean that the bass is boosted by 6db at 60Hz? If so why would they do that?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Do you have that bass extension button on your receiver? I have the new RXV620 and it has the bass extension button on the lower left front of the receiver. I'm pretty sure this is what it's talking about.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
tom, if the manual says you got bass extension, the button oughta be there somewhere. It's used mainly if you dont have a subwoofer, a little more lower register oomph. It seems to me, also, that it cud be used when the overall volume level is turned down, to bring some bass back into the mix.

If you have a sub, fergedaboutit. Likewise, some sub amps come with a bass boost, too. Sub makers usually say leave THAT at 0 as well, otherwise you're just muddying/booming up the bass more and more away from the way it was recorded, and eating up bass "headroom" on the amp(s).

Tho some people still like to crank the bass/treble knobs, too. Whatever...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure there must be a button somewhere or a function on the remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks