What's new

Yamaha RX-V1200 & HTR-5490 owners... (1 Viewer)

Bill cc

Agent
Doh!!!
They're glow-in-the-dark...had to really turn the lights off.
I'm an idiot. Sorry :b
Anyways...great receiver. :D

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Bill,

You are NOT an idiot. I had this receiver for two months before I saw that the remote's buttons would glow, and they do not glow very much at all. It was only after I shut down the TV and the lights did I see the faint glowing. The remote was sitting under a lamp for about three hours too!

The receiver is great but the remote is definitely it's weakness. It's buttons are too small and too close together, the layout is confusing and the backlighting is poor as you noted. I use my universal remote and I enjoy the receiver immensely!

Enjoy!

Ralph

Bill cc

Agent
Thanks for the support Ralph ;)
I'm glad I'm not the only one that missed this. I think they didn't glow at first because they hadn't been exposed to light that much. I wouldn't call this Remote terrible, but it is a little weak. I think I'm going to get a Universal also. This is my first venture into semi-serious home theater. As soon as my Axiom's arrive, I'll be really stoked. As far as the receiver itself, I really don't have any complaints. One more COAX digital input would have been nice, in order for me to hook up my cable box, sound card and mpeg card at the same time, but that's OK. I think I'm going to get a new sound card with optical out anyways. I had a lower end Yamaha before and this new one really confirms my beliefs that they make a great receiver. Glad you enjoy yours. Can't wait to get mine fully set-up with the new speakers. By the way, what Universal remote are you using ?
Thanks.
-Bill

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Well count me in as a proud new owner of a 5490 :). I got mine today at Best Buy and have pretty much gotten everything setup. Tonight, I will have some people over and pop in a movie. So far I love this receiver. I am still learning all its functions as my old Sony wasn't near this advanced. Oh well back to tinkering :).
Brandon Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks