What's new

Yamaha RX-V1 volume levels (1 Viewer)

I just got an RX-V1 and am finding that I need to turn the volume to about half-way or higher to get the same levels as I did with my previous receiver (a 2090) at one-quarter to one-third. Is this normal or is my unit defective?
The best would be if someone could send me SPL readings of the receiver's internal test tone at volumes settings of, say, -50dB and -30dB.

Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

The older receivers without digital display of dBs covered a large volume range over the first 1/3 to 1/2 rotation of the volume knob, and a very much smaller range over the remainder of the knob's rotation. The newer receivers (e.g., RX-V1) with digital display of dBs show a more uniform distribution of steps throughout the volume range, with the result that normal listening levels occur at what may seem higher levels of volume adjustment. However, this is only an illusion that results from the more linear adjustment scale.

Keeping in mind that I use external amps with my RX-V1, I get 75 dB from the internal test tone generator when the volume is -16 dB.

Before I purchased the RX-V1, I used the Sony DD processor EP9ES, which also has a digital volume display. When I replaced it with the RX-V1, I was impressed that I got exactly the same SPL readings for the same volume displays and source material with the two components. Probably the dB scales are standardized across the industry.

I think your RX-V1 is working fine.

Good luck,
Cliff

Dave_CG

Auditioning
I recently purchased this receiver as well, and noticed the same thing immediately. I don't have db levels, but Cliff's explaination seems to match my experience. I need to turn it up close to 1/2 way for low level listening, where my old system packed the punch lower down. I definitely have some power left on the rest of the knob now, where my old JVC only increased marginally past 1/2 dial and started distorting at about 3/4. I have not gone full tilt on the RXV1, but have been close and it still performed beautifully.....no distortion at all.

Thanks to both of you. I'm reassured. I'll get around to testing the output with the meter later tonight, but I think things will be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks