Definitive Technology: A Setup Guide

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Here is a setup guide for any people interested in the Definitive Technology "bp" (bipolar) series ( http://www.definitivetech.com ). Keep in mind that this is just a general guide...one should experiment as much as possible in their room. Good luck, and enjoy!
    MAIN SPEAKER SETUP:
    -- keep 5-10 feet in between the speakers.
    -- keep 1-3 feet for the rear drivers to fire.
    -- for the powered tower models, initially set up the speakers with subs firing outward.
    -- for the powered tower models, make sure that there are no obstructions for the side firing built in subs.
    -- use a slight toe in towards the main listening position.
    -- break in the speakers a lot.
    -- use some quality cables, and make sure that the cables are not cluttered or coiled. keep the excess cable and power cords wrapped in a nonoverlapping snaking "s" pattern.
    -- for the bp2002TL/bp2000TL/bp3000TL, you must wire "full range" in the bass.
    -- for the powered tower models, make sure to carefully adjust the volume knobs on the back of each speaker.
    -- for the powered tower models, consider giving each speaker its own power outlet.
    -- if an object is located in between the speakers, make sure that the speakers are placed at least a couple inches in front of the object.
    -- make sure that the rear firing tweeters are not placed too close to any wall or obstruction.
    -- try to mirror image the placement for each speaker. in other words, try to keep the same distances from the walls and the same degree of toe in for each speaker.
    -- tilt the speakers back slightly (particularly the smaller bp speakers).
    -- consider bi/triwing.
    -- consider using a power conditioner.
    CENTER CHANNEL SETUP:
    -- try to keep the center channel tweeter level at the same height as the tweeter on the main channels.
    -- if you must keep the center channel on an rptv, angle the speaker downwards towards the listening position. Also try to keep the speaker as far forward on the rptv as possible (ideally, you want the front of the speaker to hang a bit over the edge of the rptv).
    -- if the center channel tweeter level is below the main channel tweeter level, then angle the center channel upwards towards the listening position.
    -- try to place the center channel the same distance away from the main listening position as that of the main channel speakers.
    MATCHING ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT:
    Receivers: Yamaha RX-V1, B&K AVR307, Marantz, Integra, and maybe Denon 5800 (among others)
    Amplifiers/Preamplifiers: Parasound, Macintosh, Bryston, Krell, B&K (among others)
    Do not forget that all the associated equipment (including amplification, cables, cd player) truly makes a difference in the sound quality for these speakers (particularly for music).

2. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

hehe... this guide looks remarkably similar to one of the reviews given to a BP2000TL in audioreview.com
    coincidence? I think not [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

"-- use some quality cables, and make sure that the cables are not cluttered or

coiled. keep the excess cable and power cords wrapped in a nonoverlapping

snaking "s" pattern."

Bob,

I just don't understand this. I don't mean to sound confrontational, but this just doesn't make any sense to me. I'll agree that it's a good idea to keep your power cords separated from interconnects and speaker cables, but how does lying your cables out in "s" patterns affect things? I've heard someone mention that a coiled speaker cable will have a different inductance than one lying out flat and that it will act as a high pass filter (in other words, filtering out the bass frequencies). The former is so negligable that it's in the .001mH range and the latter is just plain false.

I'd be interested in your findings on this matter.

Brian

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Brian, you might want to talk to Jon Risch about that one...he is the one who recommended such an arrangement. I tried it...it definitely helped for me.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bob,
    Would you mind telling me exactly what differences you noticed? I'm a bit leary of most tweaks but I'm trying to become more open-minded now that I'm 30! [​IMG]
    Brian

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Contrast this to the Mirage Omnipolar set-up instructions: "give them about 20inches of breathing room on back and sides ,try to spread 'em out a few feet from each other, then just sit down anywhere in the room and enjoy!"....This is one of the great benifits of a uniform 360 degree radiating dispersion pattern!!!!!!

8. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Brian, it smoothed things out for me. A trace of sibilance went away, and the sound seemed more "neutral".