What's new

Yamaha Old school Stereo Amps (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I have been in the market for the older 80's model Yamaha amps. I really like the MX1000 or the M85. I have a friend that has the M45 and M85 but both have kicked the bucket recently. I know the amps were not abused at all. This makes me nervous. How durable are these amps? I know they are some of the cleanest (.007thd) and strongest amps (260x2) amps made that I can afford. Many are going up on ebay for decent prices. Who has experience with these older Yam amps and how do they compare to newer 2 ch discreet amplifiers?

Greg D

Auditioning
I recently bought a used Yammy M35 that dates to the '80s. I'm the third owner (the second owner claimed not to have used it much). I haven't had it very long, but I'm very happy with its performance so far. Given that you can pick these amps up pretty cheaply, I think its worth the risk that it will someday crap out on you.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I like the Yammies from that era too, they're good sounding inexpenive amps.

Another option to look at are the Kenwood Basic series amps (ie. the M1 and M2). They have very low THD numbers, high S/N numbers, and an overall clean sound. I use a Basic M2A to power my sub, but before that I used it to power my mains and it did a great job. It's an awesome piece of equipment considering how much I paid for it ($250).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kyle,

Let me get this straight – these amps lasted 15 years or more and you’re wondering about their durability?

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks