What's new

Hello everyone from Indy (1 Viewer)

noble100

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Davies
I'm a 54 yr old former Distribution Operations manager for Pearson Education. Unfortunately, I had open heart surgery 3 years ago and suffered a stroke immediately after the operation which left my left side paralyzed. I'm now on disability which has its good points (almost zero stress now that I'm no longer working although I miss working very much) and bad points (I have much less disposable income for home audio and video purchases).
I've been interested in home audio since high school in the 70's. when I created my first modest audio system (a Yamaha CR640 receiver and a Pioneer turntable driving a pair of Klipsch Heresies). After graduating from SIU (Southern Illinois University in Carbondale), one of my early jobs was as a Product manager at Deluxe Video Services in Northbrook, Illinois.
Deluxe duplicated and distributed VHS and Beta copies of films for several Hollywood studios; Fox,,RCA/Sony, Live and Paramount were a few of the larger ones. We would charge an average of $3-5 per tape and the studios would sell them to rental stores for up to $90 a tape (not a bad business model, right?). Later, the big thing was 'sell-through' in which the studios charged retailers much less per tape and the retailer's sold the tapes as well as rented them. The studios made their money through higher volumes on blockbuster titles like the Indiana Jones movies, Forrest Gump, Terminator films and Independence Day.
I worked for Deluxe for about 10 years and learned quite a bit about home video along the way, before moving to Indiana to work for Pearson. It gave me a unique perspective on the VHS vs Beta 'Format War' during the 80's; VHS orders continually increased while Beta orders continually decreased. But, contrary to public opinion, Beta was the better format both audio and video wise. JVC (the force behind VHS), however, mounted a much better public relations effort than Sony (the inventor and backer of Beta) did. It was also during the 80's when Dolby Surround was added to both VHS and Beta videos and Home Theater began to take off.
So, enough about the past. My system has evolved over the years from 100 percent 2 channel listening and setup to a combination of 2 channel and 5.1 surround setup, used 20% for stereo and 80% HT listening. Here's my current system in my 18'x15' room:with main speakers along a short wall :
Sony 50" rear projection LCOS HDTV
Parasound AVC2500 preamp/processor (no HDMI) for surround
VTL (Vacuum Tube Logic) preamp for stereo listening
Aragon 4004 stereo and front channel amp
Adcom545 center and ,sub woofer amp
Adcom 535 rear channel amp
Magnepan 2.7QR front channel speakers
Magnepan CC3 center channel speaker
Infinity in-wall/ceiling rear surrounds
Kinergistics passive sub woofer for stereo and LFE channel
Sony 7700 DVVD player
I know what you av gurus are thinking: where's your Bluray player? Sadly, I don't have one yet but I'm planning on adding an OPPO Bluray player next. Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it. I'm looking forward to joining in on the forums with you guys and gals.
But, make no mistake, I don't consider myself an expert.. But I'll chime in on the forums if I think I have something to contribute to the discussions.
Tim 'Noble100'
Noblesville, Indiana

noble100

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Davies
Hi Sam, Yes, I do plan to buy one of the new Oppo bluray players, but my Aragon amp just blew a power supply capacitor in the right channel which will be $300-400 to repair. So, maybe in the near future. Thanks, Tim

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Tim, I'll chime in with another welcome to HTF! Sorry to hear about your Aragon amp. I liked my Sony 7700 when I had it. And I am an owner of an Oppo blu-ray player, the BDP-93. The replacement model for that is the BDP-103. The new audiophile version is the BDP-105, but it is scary expensive, over twice the price of the 103. But I see looking at the http://www.oppodigital.com site that last year's audiophile model, the BDP-95 is still available as a refurb at Crutchfield for $400 less than the BDP-105. Enjoy your time here on the Forum!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Indy, my prior haunt. Bid some time for Marsh when Sr. ran it...well. Then I worked for another company in Fishers doing CE wholesale. I miss "Symphony on the Prairie".

noble100

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Davies
Hi Steve, Thanks for the welcome and the Oppo info. It looks like people may be selling their 93's and 95's and buying the 103's and 105's soon. That would be fine with me since I'd settle for a nice used 93 or 95 at a reduced price, I'll keep my eyes on the classifieds. I've heard nothing but good things about all the Oppo models. Thanks for the heads-up. Tim

noble100

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Davies
Hi Sam, Marsh is still going down here and we shop there often. I'm looking forward to 'symphony on the prairie', too. You should come on down and attend this year. You could haunt your former haunt again. Thanks, Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks