Xbox VGA box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Mar 14, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I'm currently running my Xbox, GC, and PS2 to an HD set with component cables through a relatively standard 3-2 selector(Red Green and Blue cables plugged into Red Yellow and White holes). The picture quality is nice, even with progressive scan, and I don't really seem to be losing any sharpness(I think there might be a slight color loss but my eyes may be fooling me).

I was dabbling with Rayman 2 DC on my TVs VGA input though, and there seems to be a world of difference in picture clarity. I think I need to take the plunge and upgrade my Xbox to a VGA connection.

Does anyone know about this box?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=1533&

I know that the past Redant did some ugly scaling and didn't take an HD signal, but this is listed as a Y Pb Pr box so it seems like it might be able to output true VGA to my HDTV. Anyone have any experience with it?

I also saw the Key Digital converter on IGN, but it's way overpriced just for the sake of being "compatible" with game systems, when any component to VGA transcoder can do the exact same thing.

2. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

That thing is too cheap to be any good.

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Heh. My Dreamcast VGA box was $15.00 and it works wonderfully.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

C'mon, JamesH, you know that's not a fair comparison - Sega made the DC ahead of its time by natively supporting VGA unlike the more recent consoles, so the VGA adaptor was really really cheap to make.

Ahhhhh, good ol' DC VGA...

5. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Yes the DC is not a fair comparison. Not to mention the DC Box was $50 when it came out.
    The boxes for the PS2/XBOX require a bit more for VGA output.
    Basically the picture I saw looks like the same kind of thing as a Redant model.