What's new

XBox progressive abilities. (1 Viewer)

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my HDTV, and I'm trying to set up my XBox up with it. My TV has one component input, and it can be used as a non-progressive input or a progressive input, you just have to change one setting on the TV to switch between the two. With progressive off, I turned on the XBox and went to the X-Dash. Everything looked fine. I changed the option to 480p turned to YES. Then I changed my TV to progressive mode, and the screen got wicked distorted and seemed like it was split in half. I turned the TV back to non-progressive, and the XBox dash worked fine. Then I loaded a game, and the screen got distorted without me doing anything (the XBox was still set to progressive). I changed the TV back to progressive, and the game looked great.

So, I can conclude that games are progressive or not progressive based on the setting in the X-Dash, and the X-Dash is never progressive. Can anyone confirm this?

The TV is a Dynaflat 27" Samsung HDTV Monitor. Is there anyway to make it automatically tell whether the signal is progressive or not so it won't have those messed up screens? Do all HDTVs need to be manually switched, or do other more expensive ones automatically detect whether it is progressive or not?

Eric F

Screenwriter
The better HDTVs know the difference. After all, HDTVs are essentially just big multisync monitors.

And yes, the dash is always interlaced, so MS made a boo-boo. Too bad really. They're starting to mount up. Their "hdtv" support seems less than what they made of it.

Still patiently waiting for a "hdtv" game...

Gary King

Second Unit
I wouldn't call the Dash in 480i a boo-boo. The fact that some HDTVs can't correctly auto-detect 480i/480p/1080i signals isn't MS' fault. If the dash defaulted to 480p, what would happen if you took your Xbox to a friend's house (or connected it to another TV) that only supported 480i on the component inputs? You wouldn't even be able to go into the dashboard to change your settings.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, it's a mistake because they didn't give the option to configure the dashboard either way.

If they had tested it on enough HDTVs they would have seen it would cause a problem. Hopefully this could easily be solved with a firmware update. It seems HDTV support isn't as big a priority as Microsoft made it out to be.

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm assuming my 27" Samsung HDTV Monitor (HD Ready) can't support 720p or 1080i. I would test it, but I don't want to risk burning out my TV. I wish I could see XBox in 720p, I'm sure it'd be sweet.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The only 27" Samsung HDTV I know of supports 480p/1080i so you should be all set.

If your set is hd ready it has to accept a 1080i or 720p signal. The hd format is 1080i or 720p not 480p, although most sets display only 1080i natively. No game as of right now supports any resolution above 480p though, so switching on 1080i in the dash will have no effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks