XBOX as DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy_Watson, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

I know there is a Video Game forum, but I'm more curious about the DVD abilities in this thread, but feel free to move this is so requires admins. Basically, I'm gonna get a new TV and need a new DVD player as well. However, I'd like to have an XBOX also, so I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I'm assuming it can do progressive scanning for DVD output but I didn't see much mention of specs like that in the manual online; if it can't then that probably kills this idea. Also, what video signals can it output (720p, 480p, 1080i)? Finally, any feedback from people who use their XBOX as their DVD player would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

the xbox does not do progressive scan on dvd movies..it only does it in game..also the dashboard is interlaced..the only way to get proscan from the xbox is to mod it and patch it..the xbox will output 480p, 720p and 1080i in games..

I used my xbox as a DVD player when I had a analog TV and it worked great..now that I have an HDTV I am in the process of getting a adequate proscan dvd player..I got a samsung which was junk and will be going back tomorrow..

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Echoing what Dave said... it does look great though.

I think the latest PS2 model can output 480p for DVDs but if the quality is anything like the 1st couple of models the Xbox shoots it out of the water.

Ideally you'd get a standalone player so you can power it on/off from the remote and you won't have to worry about noisy fans. I still use the Xbox as my main player for an analog wega, when I finally get a projector I'll switch over to my HTPC.

4. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your quick responses. Since I'll be getting a decent HD RPTV, think I'll probably go with a mid-range PS DVD player for now. Oh well, it was worth a shot.