1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Live headset / Wireless network questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Seymour, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

Question 1:
    For all you beta testers out there, does the headset that comes with the Xbox live setup have a standard input jack? If you wanted to remove it from your Xbox setup and use the headset as a mic on your PC, could you?

Question 2:
    I am trying to decide what router to go with in anticiapte of going Live. The Linksys wireless router/4 port hub is on sale at BB for a good price. Has anybody had any problems with going wireless or does your connection definitely need to be wired?

Thanks,

Chad

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm not a beta tester so take my response accordingly.

I think the headset plugs into the controller so I doubt it has a standard jack.

802.11B (or A for that matter) aren't recommended for gaming. The throughput is fine but there is a major latency issue. You'd get spotty performance at best.

3. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

yes, you can replace the mic/headset. It looks like a standard headphones port, but you will want to be sure that the new headphone jack is the same as the XBOX live one. I have heard of people in the beta replacing theirs with other headsets.... I havent tried it yet though, as i dont mind the Xbox mic at all. It even fits compy over my glasses.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Camp,
    Can you show me any documentation or tests showing where wireless networks cause problems with console network gaming? I still have a hard time believing it (and I don't have any currently networked console systems, so I can't run any tests of my own).

5. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I dont know what Camp is talking about...

there is no latency!!

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

with wireless you are introducing more lag into the equation. It's simple math

Whether or not that's enough to affect gameplay is a YMMV situation, but no game company recommends it

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I cannot show you any numbers...I can only tell you it didn't work well on my 802.11b set up. Search this forum as it's been discussed a couple times before.

8. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Im on a laptop right now, i ping my other computers at a max of 5 ms. That shouldnt be a problem after gettin it working.

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I purchased the Linksys wireless router this past week at best Buy also (on sale - with a rebate!).

I should be getting my beta starter kit tomorrow via UPS!

However, for the next month...I'll be connecting it to the wireless router via a wire (cat 5) to one of the 4 available ports.

I move into a new home next month...and that is where I am going to actually try out the wireless portion of this router (it works fine on my laptop now though) on my XBOX live setup.

I can let you know then...I'm thinking you'll probably be okay with the wireless...but like others have stated...YMMV. Good luck!

BTW: The Linksys wireless network was a breeeze to setup...and I can't believe I waited this long to finally go wireless!

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I think it's best said like this:
    "If you want the OPTIMAL experience, use a wired connection"
    And since the HTF, it's all about the optimal, right? [​IMG]
    I've got wireless all over my house and it's just not as fast as a wired connection.

11. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I think the REAL speed of wireless (4-6 Mbps) is more than enough to accomodate most broadband providers. They do cap the modems regularly at 1.5 or 2 Mbps. So even if the connection is at 50% you shouldnt notice a difference.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Regarding the headset, are you supposed to hear your own voice? I tried both Whacked and MotoGP, enabled one of the voices, and made sure the mute button was green, but I could never hear my own voice.

-Dave