What's new

XBox - Jagginess on Toshiba 57HX81 (1 Viewer)

CyrusR

Auditioning
I've connected my XBox to the component inputs on my Toshiba 57HX with Monster 400X cables. Colors are brighter, but the edges appear much more jagged. Also, there is more graininess than when I connect to the Video inputs.

Is this just because I'm watching it on such a large screen? Naturally I would expect some imperfections, but in many ways it looks better with the standard video connection. That doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Cyrus:

This is pretty common with consoles - you're seeing details that are obscured by a plain composite connection. Try tweaking your sharpness level down a bit, as that could help.

CyrusR

Auditioning
Rob, good question. ;) Yes I do have it (XBox) set to 480p. Actually, I have it set to 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I did this in the setup menus.
Josh, I lowered the sharpness previously and it did help a little. It doesn't reduce the jaggedness though. I thought that going through the component inputs was supposed to eliminate jaggies. It's accentuated them.
Is anyone else playing XBox on a large screen?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The toshiba hx81's upconvert a 480p signal into a 520p signal I believe which would add artifacts. Look in the display device section for the toshiba's and you'll find out a lot.

CyrusR

Auditioning
Yeah I was afraid of that. I've looked through threads that talk about this, but I'm not really sure what kind of artifacts to expect. Would jaggy edges qualify?

Sorry, I'm new to this home theater stuff. I'm still not exactly sure what artifacts are. :b

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I thought that going through the component inputs was supposed to eliminate jaggies. It's accentuated them.
It's supposed to accentuate them. Switching to a composite input would give you a much softer picture, with less jaggies. The only thing that would eliminate them is progressive scan.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Cyrus - Which game(s) are you looking at? As I understand it (I'm new to the XBox) most of the current games don't use anti-aliasing which results in more jaggies. I've read that more games will take advantage of this feature in the future. I've only seen Halo on my 65" Mitsubishi so far (picked up WSB 2K3 today at lunch though :D) and it looks amazing.

CyrusR

Auditioning
Really? Where did you hear that about anti-aliasing? That would really surprise me. Unfortunately, one of the games I'm referring to is Halo. I was completely blown away with it when playing on my analog set a couple of months ago. But on the large set it's jaggy. DOA3 does look better than Halo on the large set, but I still see jaggies.

It must be because we're viewing low-res games on huge monitors. I really wish I could see it on someone big screen to compare. I would really hate for the loss of quality to be because of the upconversion from 480p on my Toshiba.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Cyrus, I see very few jaggies on my 58" Pioneer set when playing Halo. They aren't totally eradicated, but they certainly aren't noticeable unless you are specifically looking for them. Don't know how close you are to CT, but if you're nearby you are welcome to drop by for a comparison.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Cyrus - you will see jaggies, but on some games more than others. Check out Dead or Alive 3 for a good reference as as the best image currently available. That said, on a 57 inch you will still see jags.

There is debate regarding whether or not the 480i/p to 540p conversion produces artifacts, but a jagged image isn't one of the complaints.

-Dave

CyrusR

Auditioning
Dave Falasco - That's very kind of you. Unfortunately I'm in Houston.

Dave F - Yes, DOA3 certainly produces a better image than any of the other games. What kind of artifacts are people saying they see with the upconversion from 480p?

Joe - I agree that I shouldn't be seeing these jaggies with the XBox. But since it's a big screen I guess it becomes a problem. I've played with my sharpness but it doesn't really help that much. I mainly end up with blurry images.

Also, I've only recently started playing console games. I was a huge computer gamer until then, so I'm used to very high resolution and no jagged edges. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Unfortunately I don't remember where I read that about the anti-aliasing. I've been looking at so many different sites since I got my XBox last week. Halo looks fantastic on my set but I'm also used to looking at PS2 games. :D

Hank_P

Second Unit
I've got a 57H and both Halo and DOA 3 look fantastic.. no jaggies at all and it's connect with the Monster Component 400's.

Make sure you have everything calibrated for that Input (conv. & geometry) and back the sharpness off just a little.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I get jaggies on all my systems, PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. It's just the nature of videogames these days. You're getting 480 lines of resolution no matter what, and that'll produce some stairstepping.

P.S. The potshots at the PS2 in a post about the Xbox are just silly. Let's focus, mkay?

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I have an ISF-calibrated Toshiba 50H81 and I notice very little in the way of jaggies in games like Rallisport Challenge and Halo. Madden 2002, on the other hand, looks pretty bad... but then again, they did very little to optimize that for X-Box.

P.S. The potshots at the PS2 in a post about the Xbox are just silly. Let's focus, mkay?
Ummm... Well... If we're talking about jaggies on a big screen TV, I can tell you from first-hand experience that the average PS2 game looks a lot worse than the average X-Box game. I, too, have owned both systems, hooked up by similar connections to my widescreen HDTV, and I tell you, I was blown away by the difference the X-Box has shown me. Sorry, but it's what I have seen by experience.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
That was no potshot and it was said with a smiley after it in case you didn't notice. I still enjoy my PS2 very much and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it. It's a great system but the graphics just can't compare to the XBox.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Potshots? The PS2 is very Jaggy on a widescreen bigscreen tv. It's not a potshot it's a fact and it was done as a joke. Don't like it, skip or ignore my posts mkay?.Thanks for the backup on that one Tim.

CRyan

Screenwriter
It has been fairly well documented here and on other boards that the Box is simply not utilizing anti-aliasing.

Games such as Project Gotham simply look horrible in this regard. Simply do a search on anti-aliasing for older posts on this subject.

C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks