xbox hookup to ht?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Nov 5, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

okay , I am planning on purchasing an Xbox in a week or two. i'm looking into how this thing hooks up. i want to take full advantage of the 5.1 dd. I have a Sony av receiver and i want to hook up the console through it. I'm running out of inputs though. first, how is the video hooked up? is it with an s-video cable (thats how all my other video devices are connected)i'm thinking that they give you the cheap rca cables with the system, so i will need to purchase other cables. Now, how about the audio, presently, i am using digital coax cable for the dvd player and I know there is optical cables as well, but what does the xbox accept. thanks for the help

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

It comes with stereo composite cables (like all systems).

Sounds like you'll want the "Advanced AV Pack" which offers s-video. It also gives you the option of stereo composite or digital optical audio connection. Choosing the optical connection allows you to take advantage of Dolby Digital.

To my knowledge, there is no cable solution for digital coax sound. You could always buy an optical to coax converter if you need to go the coax route.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Jeff,
    You need to get the Advanced A/V Pack which you can get at EBGames so you can hook it up with S-Video (the pack comes with an S-Video cable) and it has a hook up for an optical cable so you probably want to hook up your DVD player with a Digital Coax cable if possible. If you have a component cable input then you can get the High Definition Pack instead. Hope that helps.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Ha! Looks like Camp beat me to it...:b

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yes, but you kindly included a link. Of course, I would have linked to a different site.
    Toys R Us
    [​IMG]

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer