What's new

Xbox Hard Core Fan: "To sell, or not to sell?" (1 Viewer)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hmm, well you can look at it from this point of view. How much do you think PS2 games will improve from the point they are at right now. Face it the PS2 has reached its peak already while the other systems are just getting started. MS has learned from its mistakes at E3 last year, I'd at least wait another month, enjoy Morrowind and see what "surprises" they have been keeping up their sleeves. I've seen some seriously cool shit that I can't talk about yet...its coming man hang in there ;) Why don't you just pick up a used PS2 cheap if you want to play GTA3.
Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Face it the PS2 has reached its peak already while the other systems are just getting started
I don't remember progressive scan and DTS in real-time being around on the PS2 for a long time, do you? They can still do more, graphically and technically, and they can improve the quality of the games.

The N64 started out with pretty archaic graphics by today's standards, but other games improved pretty much every aspect of the games by the time it died. They were always able to pull just a little more out of the thing.

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
The Problem with the XBOX is :it keeps getting games that are Ported. So it doesn't get to take advantage of the Hardware. So why buy it when you can get the same thing on the PS2. The reason to buy a new system is because of the Tech leap which the Box has but its not being used. Except for a couple of games. Am I Right?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly PowerStone 3 is going to be on PS2. They seem to be waffling on it tho.

And yes, like the X-Box PS2 currently has about 3 games I want to play (Twisted Metal Black, VF4, I know there's a few more), but X-Box is getting MORE games I want to play, FASTER.

I'll probably pick up a PS2 when it hits $150 or so anyway.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
How long are you guys expecting to wait for PS2 to hit $150? I wouldn't expect to see a cut that drastic till PS3 is launched.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Basically, I wouldn't expect a cut that drastic until PS2 sales start slowing down - there is no sign of either more recent, arguably more powerful, and in the case of the Cube cheaper console causing them sales headaches that I've seen so far. If Sony wanted Microsoft right out of the market then they would do the price-cut that has been hovering for ages now (all other regions have seen price cuts since the initial release, and heavy rumours abound for another UK cut in the next few months), but the X Box has been primarily selling as an addition, not a replacement machine.

At least, thats the impression from a UK standpoint. Jeff is one exception, for a start.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hang in there Scott. Couple of more months and your concerns will be put to rest about the XBox.

In the interim - check out the previews for the upcoming Spiderman game. IGN has articles for all 3 systems and ranks them in terms of quality:

1) Xbox

2) GameCube

3) PS2

The Xbox has 2 additional levels plus realtime 5.1 sound which is being put to good use.

Reading articles like this makes me glad I sold my PS2 and went with the XBox.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have all three systems and right now and my X-box gets the most play time, followed by my PS2, and then the Gamecube. However, all systems have been put to rest since I got Jedi Knight 2. :)
Anyway, the Box has some great games right now, sure their library doesn't compare to the PS2, but the PS2 is just a bit older too. Games like Halo, JSRF (yes this game is the sh*t), Amped, PGR, etc. are all fantastic and very fun to play. If you really want a PS2, I would buy one new, I wouldn't buy a used one because I would hate to see you get one of those crappy 1st generation units. However, I would not sell the Box just yet. The games mentioned above are all great, plus if you have broadband, this will be the console to have for online multiplayer. Another great thing I love about the Box is games that use your own soundtrack (a feature that is not brought up enough). To sum up this post, keep the X-box and buy a PS2, that way you will have the best of both worlds. :)
If your better half complains about a 2nd console, just tell her that the folks over at the HTF said it was OK. ;)
-Dean-

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Thanks to everyone.

I guess I started this thread in hopes of being persuaded to keep my XBox. You all have succeeded.

Dean, good point about the custom soundtrack! (RSC + old Metallica = much enjoyment)

Romier, I still think JSRF is lame. (each to his own)

(I mean, come on, does everone take dancing to crappy music that seriously) (And how about those paper-thin pedestrians?) I would like my character to unload a few rounds into some of those Fred Astaire wannabie buddies of his. (Get up and dance now dude)

Sorry- was that "out-loud"?

Anyway, I also get the feeling that after I buy a PS2 and GTA3, it will get old after a month or so. Am I right?

And after all, I bought the XBox for the specs.

Good point about PS2 reaching it's climax.

I just hope that XBox gets some more great 1st and 3rd person shooters. Max Payne was alright.

I just bought MGS for the PSX ($17 at Target) so that will have to keep me busy until XBox appeases my extremely picky taste in games.

HTF is my second home, and thanks again to all!

paul h

Supporting Actor
The PS2 hasnt reached it's 'peak'...

Polyphony Digital said that GT3 uses 30% of the PS2's potential. There are some great games coming for all 3 consoles, if i could afford it then i'd have em all!

The XBox is a great piece of kit but no way has it revolutionised gaming or is it a quantum leap above other consoles.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I agree about the "short memory syndrome" of PS2 owners. For the first 7 mos, the PS2 was a waste of money w/ no good games. PS2 owners forget that when they boast of a large library of games now. Had both consoles launched at the same time w/ the same launch titles, Sony would probably be out of the console business by now.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to imagine sony drastically cutting their costs now when retail sales say that it's still outselling both the Gamecube and X-Box.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Scott. I can totally understand when you see games on antother system that you would love to have, and if you can't hang on to the box, then go ahead and get the system that has the games you want the most. personally i am having too much fun with the boxx right now to even think about giving it up. And some of the upcoming games like, World series 2k3 (which by the sound of it they got right this year), panzer dragoon, shenmue 2 and the new outrun game i think the future looks bright. Of course you may not like these games but i just thought i would point out a few that are coming out i havent seen mentioned very much.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I would at least wait until after E3 before making a decision. MS had a great US launch and seemed to be getting off to a better-than-expected start, but the miserable showing in Japan and Europe seems to have slowed their momentum quite a bit. I would expect a few big announcements at this year's E3 to pump up enthusiasm again.
Also, I agree that Sony's launch was very lackluster compared to MS', and that it took almost a year for Sony to start producing system-seller-type games. But the difference is, Sony was the only game in town (so to speak :)). People were willing to cut the PS2 some slack, because what else was out there? Now you have one company with a proven track record of great games and by far the biggest catalog out there, and another company with strong brand loyalty and the promise of unique first-party games. I don't think people are as willing to wait on Microsoft in the face of those two options.
I wish they were--if you look at the quality of PS2 titles now and compare them to what was available in the first few months of that console, and then look at the quality of Xbox games now and envision a similar improvement curve over the next year, it's almost scary to think about what could be coming down the road. But as MS doesn't have the strong historical franchises of Nintendo or the deluge of titles of Sony, I'm not sure what the future holds anymore for my beloved black box. :frowning:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Sony was the only game in town (so to speak ). People were willing to cut the PS2 some slack, because what else was out there?
The Dreamcast. The most ignored system in history and its a damn shame too. Once again I go back to the masses who were utterly brainwashed by Sony's hype machine (which you can't help but give them credit for!;)). The Dreamcast is the one system that to this day can compete wih Sony's lineup IMHO. It's too bad folks were too busy speculating how wonderful the PS2 was going to be too see a quality cream colored gaming machine sitting right in front of their eyes. What I find even more ironic is the majority of gamers are going coo coo for cocoa puffs (not talking sales here, just hype and anticipation) for allot of these Sega franchises coming to the big 3 but I just have to pose the question, Where were they when the Dreamcast was alive? (and yes I'm bitter:D)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks