What's new

Xbox Hard Core Fan: "To sell, or not to sell?" (1 Viewer)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I was there on 9-9-95, the day PSX was released. I paid my $340. Everyone said:"Sony won't make it, buy Sega or Nintendo" I did the research, and gambled on Sony's bankroll. It paid off. Love my first gen PSX.

Well, I gambled again with the XBox, and got the same comments. I'm happy with the DVD, graphics, 5.1 sound, and the "prestige of XBox".

I'm not happy with the software. I know: "Wait for the 2nd generation of games...." Or: "Haven't you played Halo, JSRF, PGR, Munch, RSC?"

Trust me, I've played them. RSC is cool, Halo is cool, JSRF?...Sorry fans, guess I'm not in that generation of lousy music.

I'm leaning toward the PS2 with it's non 5.1 gameplay, it's poor DVD playback, and it's enormous library of titles.

I realize all my friends will be saying: "I told you so."

Am I so wrong in feeling this way about the box? I need GTA3, and am awaiting word from the E3 show on it's future for the XBox. If they don't say anything, thats the last straw.

I went with Microsoft because of their deep pockets. Do they want to be the next 3DO? (I bought one of those too.)

I mean, come on, get the must have titles that everyone is buying, and get them here tomorrow.

Sorry about going on and on, so I'll come to the point:

If push comes to shove, and I decide on the PS2,

1. What am I truley loosing?

2. What is the best way to sell my Xbox and get PS2?

Thank you all in advance for reading my "testimonial"

I love the HTF!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I loved the Dreamcast too, had alot of games and Died an early death. When it came to XBOX vs PS2 this time I went PS2 and have not regretted the decision. XBOX is not the Tech leap that it was hyped to be, just as the PS2 was'nt the leap over the Dreamcast. PS2 has a good selection of games, and titles that have been out longer and are cheaper. I went for the sure thing and I'm glad I did, and I can enjoy, High Heat, Air Combat 2, State of Emergency, GTA3 etc

Frederick

Second Unit
This thread may get real interesting real fast ...

All I have to say is this: it's about the games. I have the PS2, the Cube and the Box, and as of late I've been playing a lot of the XBox. On paper, the XBox is a killer. But if there aren't any games on it that interest you, then by all means look elsewhere. Don't get wrapped up in specs. If you look at the PS2 and see 10+ games that you gotta have, then there's your answer. I was playing Soul Caliber and Power Stone the other day on my Dreamcast because they're awsome games. In the end, isn't that what it's about? Screw what your friends say, dude. If the PS2 is what you want, go for it. If later on the XBox comes out with more games that you want to play, pick one up again. Hell, it may even be a little cheaper by then ...

Freddy C.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
And that's where the problem lies, there's too many multiplatform games coming out on the Xbox, games already on the PS2 that show little improvemnets over their PS2 counterparts

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Let me just add this from my experience...
I bought a PS2 on launch day... and I was enthralled by Madden 2001. I loved it, and it was better than anything out on the PC or any other system.
However, the PS2 had a pretty slow going early on... not many games out for quite a while after launch that interested me at all. A lot of people are forgetting that right now when they compare the X-Box to the PS2...
Then, in late summer this past year, I bought a 50" widescreen HDTV. Boy was I disappointed at how bad (using quality component cables) the PS2 games looked on my new TV. I wanted to be able to enjoy games on my new TV and DD/DTS home theater system... but the only PS2 game that I thought looked decent at all on the system was GT3.
So, in November, I gambled on the X-Box. Its graphics looked so much more crisp, and DD 5.1 sound more clear... I ended up selling my PS2 (for a number of reasons) and I have not regretting it much at all. I have been happy with Halo, Rallisport Challenge, somewhat with Madden 2002, and again somewhat with NFL2k2. I am looking forward to many nice releases on their way...
What does this tell you? Maybe nothing... But it is my story, and I thought maybe you would like to hear it... :)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Thanks Andrew,

I guess I might jst wait and pick up a PS2 when the price is right. Now... To justify two systems to my wife. Hmmm.

Also, thanx Dave and Fred.

Looking for more opinions....

paul h

Supporting Actor
If you are gonna sell the Box now maybe the right time...IF Sony and Nintendo announce price cuts in the near future then MS might have to follow.

I'm running my PS2 through a projector and the games look great! I played JSR on the Dreamcast and thought it was ok so JSRF doesnt interest me either. If you can afford both then have both, if not get the one that has the games you want to play.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
After listening to the soundtrack for JSRF, there is 1 maybe 2 good songs on there

The first game had a much better soundtrack

SWEET SOUL BROTHA!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
If GTA 3 is a big priority for you, the PC version will be out by summer (EB has it listed with a 5/20 ship date...probably tentative though), and IGN recently had the first screen shots of it. If your PC isn't geared for gaming, a sub $100 GeForce2 MX video card should play GTA 3 just fine. GTA 3 is the only game I miss from when I had a PS2, but I can hold off for the PC or (if it happens) X-Box version. My feeling is with the Gamecube supporting 16:9 and 480p, and the X-Box supporting real time 5.1, 16:9 and 480p, the PS2 is already by and far obsolete hardware....it just has a much larger library right now.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Jet Set Radio Future is THE BOMB! (Understand Understand the concept of Sega!)
Plug added:D
Onto the topic of the day..... If you haven't found anything that you enjoy playing on the box you most definitely may want to look elsewhere. One of the other 2 systems may be more towards your liking.
On the other hand, I'm a firm believer that if you can own all three systems...you should. Its the only way to be truly happy at this point. Each system has a good selection of exclusive titles coming that I personally cant pass up. Be it Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Knights of the Old Republic, Project Ego, Toe Jam and Earl etc..... The future is very exciting.
When I first bought the box I was apprehensive to say the least. I had already gotten the Cube and the box hadn't really impressed me up to that point. Halo was the deciding factor, I had to have the game, so I took the dive. I have never regretted it since. I *personally* have had a good steady stream of quality titles to choose from and play. From original titles to ports I've been gosh darn happy. Ports are a necessary evil these days and lets be honest, *ALL* of the systems available are overflowing with ports.
As of right now frankly the Box has been getting a majority of my play time. Jet Set and Gunvalkyrie have kept me enthralled, not to mention RSC and Blood Omen 2 (which is quite the improvement over the PS2 version). One thing that has taken time out of those games is VF4 for the PS2 which is too damn addicting to put down at times. Resident Evil will no doubt cut a big chunk of time out and finally give me something new to put in my purple handbag of gaming joy;).
So theres my story and my opinions. In the end if you decid to get rid of the box you will no doubt enjoy the hell out of the PS2! Its selection of games can't be beat right now. But if you have it in your power to get both....by all means do so.

Personally, I would hold on to the X box and just buy a ps2. (after e3, they are rumored to be dropping in price)

Later on , Xbox is sure to get better games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't have an X-Box, but I can say that the PS2 has a great library of games that should NOT be missed. Just in the last few months of 2001, there were probably 9 or 10 good, if not great, games released, in addition to all the other games that were already out. The X-Box has a lot of potential with its upcoming games, but after the sub-par sales of JSRF, I wouldn't be TOO optimistic. The PS2 already has stuff, the X-Box is trying to catch up.

Also, everyone talks about how great the concepts or graphics for upcoming games are and then base their thoughts on those things alone, but I learned to try not to do that (without reviews) after playing Zone of the Enders (it was just WAY too short).

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 already has stuff, the X-Box is trying to catch up.
Yeah..I can see how 2 5 month old systems (The GC and the Box) would be playing catch up to a system thats already been released for 2 years....do tell..
Once again I say lets revisit that particular age old discussion this holiday season when the Gamecube and the Box pulls out its big guns. The playing field (no pun intended:D) should be quite a bit more level.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah..I can see how 2 5 month old systems (The GC and the Box) would be playing catch up to a system thats already been released for 2 years....do tell..
They are trying to catch up. They are trying to get some quality games out quickly (especially Nintendo, they need it) and are trying to make announcements to get people excited. They can't catch up that quickly, but they are trying.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
They are trying to catch up. They are trying to get some quality games out quickly (especially Nintendo, they need it) and are trying to make announcements to get people excited. They can't catch up that quickly, but they are trying.
Agreed. My point to you was that (to quote a celebrity) Its elementary my dear Morgan. Its a point that I'm sure we are all well aware of.;)

Dan B

Screenwriter
My goodness! The Xbox has only been out since November. The only reason I can think of that you want to get rid of the Xbox is because you want a PS2 & can not afford both systems right now. Am I right?
One more thing...JSRF is my favorite game of 2002 so far. Live the future. Shape the future. ...I knoooww you're gonna dig this. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dan B

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
"Selective memory" is quite an amazing thing.
I was there too on launch day (or should I say night?) for the PS2. If it weren't for the original SSX, I would've been pretty disappointed. There wasn't much else...
And, I remember it pretty much staying that way well into the next spring. When Red Faction launched, everyone gobbled it up like starving dogs because...we were!!!
I've personally been grumbling recently about the lack of good Xbox games. Played the shit outta Halo, been really enjoying Rallisport Challenge (if you thing GT3 looks good, ha!) and, to a lesser degree, the somewhat disappointing Blood Omen II. And, that's truly been about it since launch day.
However, I REMEMBER how lame the PS2 was for awhile and, since I was patient with that system, I'd be an idiot not to extend the same curtesy to the Xbox. Looking at all the truly kickass games that I MUST play this year, (Enclave, Morrowind, Bounty Hunter, Project Ego, ect), I can rest easy knowing that they're coming out on the Xbox.
Oh yeah, I bought the 3DO as well. :rolleyes:I remember paying $550 for that turd. :eek:
However, I don't think 3DO can remotely compare to Microsoft or their respective pieces of hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks