What's new

Xbox Hacked??? (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I think soimeone has finally cracked the box! If this was to be true that would just rock!!!
Here is a release
quote: from PlanetXBOX. com
A Dark Day For Xbox
Sunday, May 5, 08:19 | Talon |
The issue of piracy has been a hot topic for years. The issue has spawned debates on forums, columns from journalists all over the Internet and concern from anti-piracy groups such as the ELSPA and the IDSA. Depending on how you feel about the issue, today’s announcement could be considered good or bad. According to Lik-Sang, a Hong Kong-based videogame retailer, over 38 Xbox ISO files were released over the Internet this morning by an illegal cracker group called Project X.
"We tested this game on a developer XBOX, and it works. Since there is no mod chip yet, we have no idea if this release will work on retail XBoxes when/if a mod comes out. However, now that there is a release, a modchip developer will be inclined to get our releases to work, so we think a future mod will work with this release," said the Project X group.
All of this news comes only a few weeks after we reported that a mod chip called “NeoX” was in development. However, while the ISO’s only work on development Xbox units many mod chip websites have posted future ISO releases in inventory which suggests future ISO’s and possibly a mod chip that will allow these games to be played on normal units.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

And Here is a link to the video of it...... they show a playable Bloodwake!
Link Removed
What does everyone think???:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think soimeone has finally cracked the box! If this was to be true that would just rock!!!
[sarcasm]Yeah! This is GREAT news!

There was already an inexpensive regionfree solution in the works... So what does this gain 'me'?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
While I am not pleased to see the possibility of hacked ISO's (that does not rock), this may pave the way for all sorts of projects that are similar to the DC emulation community. As was posted over at the Xbox mods page, "...you will also see DiVX, MP3, VCD Players soon as well as internet browsers, Linux tools and much much more. It's going to be an exciting year for all XBOX fans".

Personally, I'll just be happy when there is a region-free DVD ability. The Xbox has killer PAL playback.

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
After re-reading the original post, I should mention that the news is already obsolete & my previous post was in reference to the updated news that bootable discs have been made. A bootable disc would pave the way for the aforementioned mods, such as VCD players, browsers, etc...

Releasing ISO's games is worthless and just plain damned dumb. It's a bunch of dumbasses pirating materials and thinking they are cool.

-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for region hacking it for both DVD and games, as well as enabling progressive scan

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The only possible positive thing to come from this would be X-Box progressive playback with variably set resolution:

IE

DVD@1080i.

THAT would be rad. People fail to see that the Xbox is yours once you buy it, you can do whatever you want with it. I have an aversion to the piracy of games, because I feel video games are one of the few things that are reasonably priced for what you get. I buy Madden EVERY year for $50 and end up paying about .01 cents for every HOUR of enjoyment that I get out of it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Wouldn't it take one hell of a hack to get an X Box to play pirate games? Last time I checked I couldn't even get mine to recognise a burned CD-R much less play one. Is it being suggested that there is some magic switch inside the box once thrown that will give it the ability to decode pirate discs?

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
Your X-Box' inability to play CD-R disks is more likely a physical limitation than anti-piracy protection. Just like the earlier DVD players can not play CD-R. You need to have two laser heads: one for DVD and one for CD. I guess to cut cost, X-BOXes are not equipped with two laser heads.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My point exactly Feng, anyone would be hard pressed to hack their way into playing bootleg games on an X Box.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I guess to cut cost, X-BOXes are not equipped with two laser heads

No, it's to prevent piracy. They made a concious decision to remove CD-R compatibility. The developer consoles, on the other hand, have a legitimate reason to read CD-Rs, so have the capability.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It should be pointed out that there's no 'homebrew' dev software available for the XBox yet, unlike the Dreamcast, so any 'homebrew' software will also have to be produced using pirated dev software...
And if you think the people doing this are doing it out of their goodness of their hearts & their desire for a mp3 player on the XBox.... Hmmmm..... ;)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
What's strange about the Xbox is that while it won't read any CD-R's I've tried, it reads CD-RW's just fine.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The games are all on DVD-9. Seen any 2-layered burners lately?

At a minimum, the games would have to be cracked to fit on a DVD-5. Hopefully the developers are able to come up with some ways to make it impossible to fit future games on DVD-5.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
At a minimum, the games would have to be cracked to fit on a DVD-5. Hopefully the developers are able to come up with some ways to make it impossible to fit future games on DVD-5.
Yes your right, the releases are small enough to fit on dvd-5 (and some small enough for cdr as well). An X-Box hack to fix ORIGINAL games to 60hz on a PAL console would be nice (Halo PAL is SHIT!).

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Your X-Box' inability to play CD-R disks is more likely a physical limitation than anti-piracy protection. Just like the earlier DVD players can not play CD-R.
That's not entirely true. There are certain brands of CD-R that the XBOX will read. I'm sure if you searched around you could find a list of compatible media on the internet somewhere. I've seen the list before, but can't remember where off the top of my head.

Aaron

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Pirated games would not rock. If you wrote software for a living, you'd understand.
Region Free DVD would rock, but I don't need it as much since I just bought a region free player. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks