What's new

Xbox ain't as loud, isn't it? (1 Viewer)

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone played games or DVD's off the Xbox and noticed that the volume is considerably low? I usually watch movies from my HK525 at a volume of -20, and think it's borderline too much, but I hook up my Xbox and I can easily set it to -10 and have no reservations. Not sure if there's much to be done about this, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing?

BTW, I hooked the Xbox up to my bedroom reciever and it does the same. So it IS the Xbox.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
DVDs themselves output at a lower level to accommodate the dramatic dynamic range on the audio tracks. It would be the same if you were working with a dedicated, stand-alone player.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Halen,
You don't mention how you have it set up. Are you using one of the optional digital outputs on the Xbox, or are you using the normal analog? In my setup, using the optional toslink digital out, I don't notice any big difference. If you are using analog for the Xbox and digital for DVD's, that may be it.
Jeff

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
It's an optical connection to my HK, using the AV pack. And I do have a dedicated player...I played T2 on both and there was a noticable difference. I don't mind. And I'm not looking to see if there is something wrong. I play only games on the xbox and hardly at movie levels of sound. I just wanted to make a comment on it and see if it's something with all xbox's and from what jeff writes, it might not be. But thanks for the replies.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I did a comparison a while back, Halen, and I found that the XBox was much lower in volume than my dedicated DVD Player. I've noticed that when playing games, the volume needs to be turned up higher also. So it's not only DVDs. I've always used the optical cable for audio as well. I never figured out why this is so, but it's no big deal.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
The odd thing is I have the exact opposite phenomenon. The toslink xbox output (for DVDs or games) is considerably louder than either the satellite signal or the DVD player. I always need to turn it down when switching inputs. I guess every device outputs at a somewhat different level.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I have the exact opposite too. The Xbox is easily 10dB louder than my DVD player. Of course, I play games at a slightly lower volume than I watch movies (not as much dialog to follow), but even then, if I've been watching a movie and then switch to the Xbox, the opening music and game intros are really loud.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
How long have you had your Xbox(s)? I bought mine the first day it came out, and maybe they changed something with it since the first gen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks