What's new

X1 making buzzing noise when off. Ground problem? (1 Viewer)

My X1 PJ is making a buzzing sound when it is off. The rocker switch is off too.

I am thinking it might have something to do with the fact that my power outlets do not seem to be grounded properly. I opened an outlet up to test it. My understanding is if the outlet is ground properly I should get a reading by touching the ground wire and one of the power wires. Well I do not get a reading when I do that.

Do you guys think having the X1 plugged into a non-grounded outlet would cause the buzzing?

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
Well, not necessarily.

If you have continuity or ohms, from the ground to the hot/black wire, you will have a short. You should get a reading going to the common/white wire. FYI: if your outlet is wired correct, the smaller slot (right) should be the hot, and the wider slot (left) should be the common.

You could check ohms from one ground in that outlet to another outlets ground, or to a metal water pipe in your house.

Not sure about the buzzing sound. Check your cell phone.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
With the X1, if the rocker is off then you can't use the remote to turn it on. The only way for power to reach any of the electronics in the projecter (with the switch off) is that there's a problem with the on/off rocker switch. I haven't taken my X1 to look but often there's a capacitor across the terminals of a switch to reduce "thumps" when you turn it on (most power amps have this feature). Maybe there's a short in this cap (if it has one).

Is the hum coming fron the built in speaker? Do you have audio cables hooked into it? If it is, then maybe your audio cable is picking up interference. Disconnect the audio cables and see if the hum goes away. If it does, then get replace the cables with ones that have better shielding.

As for getting a reading from ground to "one of the power". You should only get a reading (115 Volts) from hot (power) to ground. You will get little or nothing from neutral to ground. The hot (power) is (should be) the shorter of the two slots on the outlet. If you get a 115v reading from longer of the slot (neutral) to ground, then the hot and neutral are reversed. That means that the rocker switch is on the neutral side and power is still going into the projecter through what is suppose to be the neutral side. Do yourself a favor and pick up an outlet tester from the hardware store (less than $10.00) and safe yourself from a lot of guess work.

Well, my outlet was hooked up wrong. The neutral (white) wires were on the wrong side. And I also seem to be grounded now also. But that did not help the buzzing. I hoping it is a normal thing and nothing to worry about. I am going to write Infocus and see what they say.

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the same problem (issue) with my X1. When the power switch is set to the "off" position, I can hear a slight electronic buzzing coming from the machine. The sound is only detectable when I am fairly close to the machine.

I contacted Infocus and they were a bit baffled. Please let me know what you find out.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks