What's new

X-MEN hits the spot! Here's a quick preview of 1.5 (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
How can branching be seamless if your distracted by looking at a crappy non anamorphic deleted scene?
here's a question: what percentage of HDtv's have a auto-aspect-ratio switch? my tosh doesn't. so does that mean i'd have to manually toggle my screen compression on and off when branching?

(edit: i just read the dvdfile review and it answered my question: yes, you'd have to manually toggle the screen squeeze if the tv doesn't do it for you).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
How can branching be seamless if your distracted by looking at a crappy non anamorphic deleted scene? Never mind the technical issues involved in seamless branching. I'll pass.
Of course, this isn't a case of seamless branching, anyway. It's extended branching.

DJ

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Ok! Please clear this for me. Weren’t we supposed to get a new cut? I remember a lot of hoopla about this. I read on the DVD-File that it’s the same theatrical cut, right? If yes, what’s up with the ultra lame title, X-MEN 1.5?!! What is this? Like since they have added few extras, now the name of the movie has changed!! This is even worse than "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark"!

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I was actually going to buy this release when it was announced, and then I read what was on the disc. I just decided to keep the original. I don't need the DTS track that bad (the dolby track is incredible) and I have no time to watch features anymore. I just wish we could of got an actual longer cut of the film, then I would of re-purchased.

-Dean-

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
You'd also think they could've done what they did with LOTR and at least given us DD-EX and DTS-ES Discrete instead of just vanilla DD and DTS tracks. This is one movie that could definitely benefit from a 6th channel, matrixed or discrete. Definitely a rental until they come out with a better version, if ever.

David Glenn

Second Unit
The DD is great on the original release. I can't justify trading up.

Also, while not as important, unless the screener copy has pre-production packaging, I prefer the original box/disc art.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was looking forward to this release, but since it's not the promised re-cut of the film with new scenes inserted, including some that were just recently filmed during production of "X2" (or so I heard), I'll pass. I'd love to have DTS, but it's not worth a re-purchase for that reason alone and that's about the only reason I could come up with given what's actually in this package. And non-anamorphic extended branching? What's the point?

Very disappointing. :frowning:

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Count me in as someone who will pass over this release.

My original copy of X-Men is good enough... I don't need another copy of the exact same film without the extended cut. I can't justify purchasing the same exact film twice for the extra features.

I've already purchased enough films twice because of some extra features that should have been included on the intial release.

I'm happy with my original copy of X-Men. If/When the new, extended version is released, I'll reconsider buying it.

Moe.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hmmm.. thanks for the preview Ron. I'll wait to see the full review before I decide to double-dip on this one... (it would have been a no-brainer if they HAD included a new cut)

Lookin' forward to the review!

Joel C

Screenwriter
Heck, I'll upgrade simply for the new case alone. I hate that skinny original case! ;)

I think the added supplements are quite nice, and I love a good commentary. Plus, I got the first disc to review, so it will be the first copy I've actualy purchased.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
add me to the list of no double dip.

the first release does the thing with adding the deleted scenes into the movie.

and again the sound was great. and i would only watch the docs once, if at all so no for me on 1.5.

when they add the missing .5 and make it a 2.0 then i'll consider it.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Old thread but wanted to post that the DTS track is just plain awesome! I was able to borrow this from our local library, always thought it was just a bunch of stuff to tide us over until X-Men 2 showed up, never picked the box up to read it, so I was somewhat taken back when the movie started playing in DTS and looked just as amazing, maybe just a tad cleaner but as mentioned earlier, hard to improve on the old one. Now I REALLY hate to double dip as well and since there are some things left out on the 1.5 verses the first release, I don't know if I'll keep the first release just for those things, arrgghh, but that Soundtrack is worth the price of admission, great use of the surrounds, very compelling!
G2

Rolando

Screenwriter
Could not find the answer to this:

I just got the X-Men collection with 1.5 and 2 (a 4 disk set).

Do I sell the first release of X-Men or is there anything else not ported to 1.5 besides the Charlie Rose interviews?

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
the original x-men gives you the option of watching the deleted scenes separately, i believe. And, stunningly, the spider-man outtake is not on 1.5.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The first DVD also include a rather fluffy but pretty cool TV special starring Senator Kelly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hem, i did double dip but only because i got 1.5 very cheaply.

the dts track is most excellent.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Damn it? WHY? How hard would it have been to include those things in the new one. Don't tell me lack of space. This so sucks, I would have expected better from Fox. They really are among the best but this is plain bad.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, I did think those things that aren't on 1.5 (aside from the easter eggs) are iffy at best.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
There is too much good stuff on 1.5 to really be a bad thing. Besides if you want the original one discer, you can get it and Daredevil for $19 at bestbuy in a bundle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks